4- The Feast, Humiliation, and Announcements

04

04

Cedric Diggory sat down at the Hufflepuff table along with Ian, Calvin, Johnson, and the other prefects from his house. They listened somewhat attentively to the Sorting Hat's newest song, and placed bets on which first years they thought would make what house.

"That girl right there, with the red hair: I say she goes Ravenclaw. Look at how she's hanging on to every word the Sorting Hat says," Calvin said from beside him.

"No way, I bet she's related to the Weasleys. I say Gryffindor," Ian retorted from the other side of Cedric. Cedric rolled his eyes and looked between the two. "She's definitely a Slytherin," He said, giving no explanation as to why.

"Alright then, Johnson, what do you say? I've got Ravenclaw, Ian says Gryffindor, Cedric says Slytherin. D'you think she'll be Hufflepuff then?"

"Sure, why not?" Johnson whispered. "Losers each give the winner a sickle, yeah?"

"Yeah," the three boys whispered back in agreement. Cedric had high hopes that he would win: he had a knack for this kind of thing. As the Sorting Hat finished its song, the four boys clapped and cheered along with their classmates, desperately hoping that the red haired girl would be sorted among the first few students. Their wishes were answered: the red haired girl, Katherine Biggins, was the second student called up. As soon as the girl sat down on the footstool, Cedric knew that he had guessed incorrectly. The girl trembled as the hat was placed on top of her head, covering her eyes. After a moment, the Sorting Hat called out: "Hufflepuff!" Johnson cheered the loudest of the group, having just earned three sickles.

"Pay up, lads!" He said as the girl started walking towards their table.

"Ah, bugger off," Cedric said, tossing a sickle to Johnson. As the red haired girl was about to reach their table, she tripped over the hem of her robes and fell to the floor, her face red as her eyes started to water from embarrassment. Cedric stood up from his seat, which was close to the front, empty section of the Hufflepuff table, and rushed towards the young girl. "Are you alright?" He asked, crouching down and offering her a hand.

"Y-yes," She replied. Katherine took his hand and he pulled her to her feet and led her to the Hufflepuff table, and sat her down next to him.

"Don't worry about what just happened," He said when he noticed that tears still welled in her eyes. "I fell off the stool during my sorting, then accidentally knocked the Sorting Hat off of my head before it could finish sorting me. I was so embarrassed that I barely talked to anyone for a week."

"That's when I cut in, I was like 'mate, you've got to start talking to some people other than the Fat Friar!'" Ian interjected.

The girl laughed. "Who's the Fat Friar?" She asked.

"Oh, he's the Hufflepuff ghost! Lovely chap, he'll be here any minute now, whenever these last three kids get sorted," Johnson said. "I'm Johnson Elliotte, by the way. This is Calvin Nimona, Ian Somerset, and Cedric here is the Hufflepuff prefect. If you have any problems you go to him, alright?"