♡17♡

No...
This wasn't happening.
This couldn't be happening.

One by one, red lasers appeared and slowly surrounded the Beach, creating an inescapable barrier.

Thank you for staying at Seaside Paradise Tokyo. As a token of appreciation, we will now commence a game for all guests in the hotel.

THE GAME WILL NOW COMMENCE.

"The Beach...," you started, struggling to keep your head lifted, "...is a game arena."

Chishiya and Kuina felt their chests tighten.
This was happening.

Difficulty: Ten of Hearts
All players assemble in the lobby, the rules will be explained.

You wanted to sink deep into the floor, do anything other than what was told.
That heavy, death-awaiting feeling was back.
It always came back; for every game.

You were right.
You were right.

From the first second you approached the getaway gate Chishiya had told you about — before the betrayal — there was an unsettling side to it.
Something that make you stop in your tracks, hesitant to step past it.

To test the water and to reassure your nerves, you had picked up a nearby rock and tossed it through.

The red laser that pierced it would've been for your head.

At that moment, you knew...
You knew you couldn't let Chishiya leave.

No matter how much it hurt to look at the blond, you did — ignoring every cell in your body that told you to let him go.

But you did.
You looked at him.
You stopped him.

And it saved his life.

Chishiya hadn't realized that until after you demonstrated for him and Kuina what would've happened if they didn't listen to your warnings.

You saved him.
Again.

With that, he knew...
He knew he couldn't let you go, couldn't let you walk away, couldn't let you leave his life.

He would have to fight for you.
Especially hard.

He regretted everything.
He wished he could all take it back, just for another chance with you.

He knew he fucked up, right when you slid next to Usagi instead of staying at his side.

He will get you back.
But first, he had to deal with this stupid game.

From within the depths of the crowd, he and Kuina gazed down at the sight that everyone surrounded.

A girl, a dead girl lied on the floor, a knife sunk deep into the left side of her chest.
A pool of blood dirtied her striped bathing suit top.

There was a cry of a name and another young girl dropped to her knees, hovering over the corpse.
"Momoka!"

Chishiya summed up the crying girl to an acquaintance, or maybe even a friend.
The tears weren't fake.

The phone he had discreetly grabbed, before everyone could shove him for one, lit up — just like the start of every other game.

Game: Witch Hunt.
The evil witch who took the girl's life is hiding among you.
The witch role is not limited to women.

As everyone glanced around distrustfully, he began to back away, getting farther and farther from the scene.
Kuina followed him silently.

They couldn't been seen as suspicious.

You clear the game if you find the witch and burn them in the Fire of Judgment.

Time Limit: Two Hours

Chishiya watched you nudge Usagi and cock your head forward.
He followed your action, eyes narrowing at your observation.

The Fire of Judgment.
It casted shadows and messed with the lighting.
The smell of smoke filled the room.

It was a bonfire.
A huge one; meant to burn the 'witch'.
It's loud snapping and crackling echoes in the room deafened with fear.

GAME START

"There's a fire burning at the back of the building," someone calls out and it causes an eruption of concerned whispers.

"Find the one who murdered Momoka, then burn them in the Fire of Judgment," Ann says, cutting through the conversing.

Chishiya only shifts his gaze the tiniest bit to look at the woman, while you have to turn around.

She isn't staring blankly at nothing in particular.
She isn't staring down at her phone.
She starting directly at you.

Her eyes are squinted, almost challengingly.
She's asking a silent question.

To anyone else, it looks like nothing suspicious, but Chishiya wasn't just anyone else.

He noticed the way you and Ann swapped answers inconspicuously — the smallest, most simplest shake of your heads.

Neither of you are the witch.

His shoulders slumped slightly, as if a weight had been taken off of them.
He had been worried without realizing.

"A witch hunt," Niragi asks, a tone of excitement lacing his words. He moves through the people, gun in hand. "Sounds interesting."

The pierced man has all the attention on him when he leans close to Usagi, but you're quick to react, and you grab ahold of her left arm and tug her into your side.

You share a moment with her and Chishiya wishes his ears were as good as his eyes.
He couldn't pick up a single word, but judging from Usagi's facial reactions of anger, then the shock, then the silence, he understood that you now had the trust of the short-haired girl.

"Alright, let's search for the witch," Niragi says, looking nerve-racking-ly excited.

Chishiya can see when your face morphs to a mix of emotions and you slowly back away from your spot up front.

Are you unsure?
Indecisive?
He couldn't tell.

But you were slowly moving towards him, eyes locked with the ground, and fist so tight around the phone that your knuckles were turning white.

What are you doing?

His chest squeezed with anxiousness as you slipped right next to his ear.
Your breath fanned against his neck and brought up a warmth that he tried so hard to keep down.

"I suggest you get someplace safe, wouldn't want you to die," you spit, protectiveness mixing with anger.

You're hurt, so hurt...
But still, you want to keep him alive.

Why?

When Chishiya turns back to you, after a moment of hesitation, you're nowhere to be seen.
"Come on," he beckons quietly to Kuina, who moves after him without a word.

He knows exactly where he needs to go, and he's hoping you'll be there.

You're smart, and he trusts you, and he's hoping to keep you alive.

Not that you need his help.