All For Naught

*This is one of the last two chapters. Thank you so much for reading my trilogy!*

I ran to my sister as she gasped for air, catching her as she fell to her knees. The light the beings had stepped through faded until there was nothing but Anya and Brian around us and thick, heavy snowflakes falling slowly to the ground. I set her carefully on the ground, laying her head on my knee as I began sobbing and held a shaking hand over her wound, which she clutched with white knuckles.

"Come back," I sobbed, cupping my sister's cheek. "Heal her. Please. Please heal her!" I screamed at the sky. "Come back, please! Heal my sister! Come back!"

I could hear sirens in the distance drawing nearer with every passing second and looked back down at her, shaking with fear and sobbing uncontrollably. "Jai, Jai, hold on for me, please? Just hold on for a little bit longer. Do you hear those sirens? They're coming here. They're coming here and they're going to take us to a hospital and they're going to fix us both right up, so you have to hold on for just a little bit longer, okay?"

Jai struggled to breathe and meet my gaze, smiling brightly. "I love you, Jen," she mumbled. "Mira. You're my very best friend in the entire universe and nothing will ever change that. You need to let me go. I need to hear you say it, okay? I need to hear you say that you can let me go. I need to hear you say it, please," she begged, tears filling her eyes.

I pressed my forehead against hers. I fought to withhold my sobs. "Not yet, Jai. Please, not yet. I haven't gotten to tell you that I've forgiven you, or how much I love you. I love you so much, Jai. This is all my fault -"

"Let me go, Jen," she whispered, her voice begging. She was beginning to go.

But I couldn't let her go. Not yet. I needed more time. Just a little more time....

I kissed her forehead and put my hand over hers, holding her as tightly as I could manage. "You can go, Jai," I whispered. "It's alright. You can go now. You can rest in peace. I love you."

She exhaled slowly in relief as a number of vehicles skidded to a stop just ten feet away from us and people began rushing to us.

She didn't inhale.