Just Another Journey's End

My sister's grave was neat and orderly, just as it always was. I brushed the few grass clippings off of it and let out a breath, staring at the name on her tombstone. Mary "Jaisa" Marble. I teared up every time I looked at it.

"Hey, Jai," I said quietly. "I hope you're happy, wherever you are." I looked down at the flower in my hand. "I wish our places were switched right now. With all of my being, I wish you hadn't pushed me away. You always were much too overprotective of me. I'd give anything to have that back for even a moment." I wiped my eyes, sniffling. "You stupid girl. It was my turn to look awesome, not yours."

My tears fell quickly as I stared at my flower. "Brian and I are going to try again. I figured you'd be happy to hear about that. We're going on a date tomorrow. I wanted to come here and tell you myself." I wiped my nose on my sleeve, rubbing the scars on my arm. "We're going to an Italian place, I think. Brian says it's popular and a good start. May even break the ice between us."

My tears slowed and I dried my face with my sleeves. "It's been hard without you. I can't... I don't know how to talk anymore. Usually I'd go to you about this kind of thing, or Galen. But ever since I sent him back I've just been... so lonely. Anya tries, but I just can't seem to open up to her like I could you - I mean, you knew exactly how I felt. Literally."

I touched her name. "Classes were hard to get back to at first. I couldn't focus on anything. Then I heard your voice telling me that I needed to focus, just like you did back in school. It's been getting easier by the day."

It had been two years since Jaisa died. It still hurt. I still had nightmares. I still woke up screaming every night.

"I've got to go. My next class is starting in about an hour. I just came to drop this off," I said, putting the flower beside her tombstone, "and tell you about our date."

My vision clouded over and I saw Brian's car pull up. He got out and looked around before stopping and smiling gently, walking forward. My vision came back and I turned to see him coming towards us.

"That's been hard to get used to," I admitted quietly. "Ever since Rey was taken, I haven't been able to use any of my powers, but I still get visions sometimes. It comes in handy when one of my professors is planning a pop quiz," I said jokingly.

I stood, brushing the grass off my knees. "I've gotta go now. I'll be back the day after tomorrow to tell you about our date, okay?" Brian came to stand next to me, studying the grave. I reached out to take his hand gently, to which he looked up at me and smiled. "You need a minute?" I asked.

He shook his head. "We'd better get to class." He stepped away, pulling me with him. I looked at Jai's grave one last time and gave her a smile before stepping up to walk beside him.

"So what were you talking about?" he asked with a slightly masked curiosity.

"The pedo stache you're growing," I said teasingly.

He blushed crimson, covering his upper lip. "Shut up. I shaved this morning."

I laughed, bumping my shoulder against his. "I'm just kidding. It's adorable. It makes you look more mature."

His blush spread to his neck as he looked away, making me laugh again. "S-s-shut up, Mir," he said bashfully.

We reached his car and he opened my door for me, closing it once I was settled inside. I looked out at the flower I had placed on Jaisa's grave and watched its petals dance in the breeze. Brian climbed in and turned over the engine, and we were off towards a new adventure.