He looked ready to kill.

Why had he not recognized Lane? She wondered, still watching him. She knew they had never met; in the year Nicky and Ethan had dated, Lane had been away in London taking care of his mother - Nicky's dad first wife - who'd been ill with cancer. The half- siblings were not close, never had been, so there had been no introductions - but Lane looked so much like Nicky that Erin was surprised Ethan had missed the resemblance.

His eyes bored into hers, silently informing her of his displeasure. "Explain. Now!"

She bristled at his commanding tone. What right did he have to barge into her apartment at this late hour and then demand an explanation for what was obviously not his business?

"She doesn't owe you an explanation." Lane growled from behind her, coming close to place his hands on her shoulders. "You, on the other hand...have a lot of explaining to do."

Erin sucked in her breath in dread, watching as Ethan's gaze moved down to rest on the Lane's hands on her. A low growl sounded from his throat and he took a step forward; hands clenched into fists.

"Get your fucking hands off her!"

"Ethan!" Erin gasped, stunned at the vicious lash of his words. "It's not what you think! Lane's...."

"Mad as hell and ready to beat the shit out of this bastard." Lane cut in, eyes glinting in anger. His fingers tightened on her shoulders as he gently pushed her behind him. "And here I was hoping for a quiet evening in bed."

The double meaning was not lost on Ethan. The words were both a taunt and a challenge, telling him more than he needed to know.

The guy had more or less admitted indirectly at an intimacy with Erin.

Adrenaline fueled by anger pumped through his veins. It had been a long time since he'd gotten physical- been a while since someone had been fool enough to cross his territory and take what belonged to him. The longing to smash his fist in the guy's teeth was so bad he had to keep himself firmly in check.

He needed a confirmation from Erin...wanted to hear her admit that she'd taken a lover in spite of his earlier warning.

After that, all bets were off.

Erin's gasped and stepped forward, rounding on the blond. "Lane...stop it. What the hell are you playing at?"

Ah! Ethan thought in satisfaction. At least now he knew the name of the dude. That would help a lot when he was shoving that towel down his throat.

Lane shrugged, not taking his eyes off Ethan. "You'd better leave now dude." The words came out shrouded in ice. "I don't know what you came here for, but you're not welcome."

"Lane!" Erin shrieked at him. "That's enough."

"Oh no Sweetcheeks let him continue by all means." Ethan cut in, his tone quiet. "I'd like to hear what he has to say before I kill him."

Her eyes flickered over to Ethan and he could see the fury in their depths. Idly, he wondered who she was furious at; him for interrupting their lovers tryst or at Lane for admitting the truth. Either way, he didn't give a shit.

"Ethan..." Erin took a deep breath and turned towards him. "Look, you're getting the wrong impression here." She shot Lane an angry glare. "Lane doesn't mean what he's saying..."

"I mean every word." Lane growled from behind her. "I know who he is Erin- what I'd like to know is what the hell he's doing here!"

Ethan chuckled, the sound humorless and deadly at the same time. "Oh so you know who I am?" He took a slow deliberate step forward, his eyes narrowed to icy blue slits. "That's good...that's very good. That will help a lot when I send you to hell."