Chapter 8

*straight after the last chapter*

Beth's POV:

I got into my car and immediately turned the music off to Daan's disappointment. "What was that for?" she said scowling at me. "What was what for?" I asked playing dumb. "You know what you did!" "Obviously I don't," I said, trying to hold in my laughter. I then heard a 'hmph' from the seat next to me. "What's up with you?" I asked, sort of regretting what I said and what was going to happen next. I decided to turn Daan's music back on but put it on a low volume so I could concentrate on driving so we could both get to where we were going alive. She smiled at me and said "thank you Beffie" which made me giggle at the way she said my name.

We sat in a comfortable silence, listening to Daan's music until we got there. "Alright, close your eyes for a minute," I said and she did. "You know I don't like surprises," she said, hands now covering her eyes as well. I stopped the car, got out and went to help Daan out since she was still covering her eyes. "Alright you can look now". She slowly removed her hands from her eyes and let her eyes adjust to the light. "Omg it's so nice here". She had told me in the past that she likes going to the beach to relax so I thought that I would take her to my local one. I then saw a frown appear on her face. "What's wrong?" "You didn't tell me we were coming to the beach so I didn't pack anything to swim in". "That's what you think". "Huh?" "I told Sari about where we were going so she packed some things in her bag and gave them to me before the game." She smiled and hugged me "thank you so much." She hugged me so tight that I could barely breathe, but honestly, I didn't mind it. The hug made me feel safe and warm inside. Beth, she's your friend and you hardly see her, you can't have a relationship with her.

We both grabbed our stuff and walked down to the beach where we found a secluded area where nobody was sitting so we decided that it would be a good place for us. Once we'd put our things down, we decided to see how cold the sea was. "Last one there is going in!" I shouted as I started running towards the sea which was further out than I thought and so I saw a small dutch woman running past me with the biggest grin on her face. Oh shit, she beat me. I realised what had happened so I started running back towards our things so she couldn't run up to me and push me in and to my surprise, she caught up to me. "And where do you think you're going?" she asked with a smirk on her face. "The sea is too far so I thought that I would sunbathe instead." (i know sunbathing in the north of england isn't common or fun but i couldn't think of anything else 🙃). "No you're not, you're going in the sea!" she said, pulling me back up from the ground. "You can't make me," I said, not thinking about what could happen next.

Daan picked me up and started running towards the sea. How does she have so much energy in her, she's literally just played a match? It didn't take us long but we eventually got to the sea. She slowly walked into the water with me, making sure it was deep enough to drop me and then let go of me. "DAAN, IT'S FUCKING FREEZING IN HERE!" I screamed, quickly getting out and pulling her back in with me. She let out a small squeal as I pulled her in a bit deeper. She wrapped her legs around me because she could no longer reach the floor. I kinda liked the feeling of her being so close to me but I didn't want to say anything in case it made things awkward between us.

After a while of swimming with Daan attached to me, we decided to get out of the water because we were hungry. We found somewhere to get changed back into dry clothes and re-tied our hair since it was dripping wet.

I suddenly heard Daan's stomach shouting at her, trying to tell her that she needed food. "You hungry then?" "Very, I've hardly eaten anything since the game," she said with a smile on her face. "You wanna go t' chippy then?" I asked her, not realising that she probably won't be able to understand my yorkshire accent. "Huh" she said with a very confused look on her face. "Do you want to get fish and chips?" I asked for a second time. "I don't mind, as long as we eat something". "Well fish and chips is always better at the beach and it's usually the only thing that is open around here on a Sunday". "Fish and chips it is then" she said with a smile on her face.

We put our wet clothes in the back of my car since we couldn't be bothered to carry them around with us and then went to the chippy. "What do you want cause I'll pay?" I asked Daan as she looked at the board full of everything they sell. "You don't need to pay," she said, trying to be stubborn. "I'm paying because you paid for the coffee's last time." "Fine, small chips please," she said with a smile on her face. I went to the counter and got mine and Daan's food and walked back to Daan. "Thank you!" she said with a big grin on her face. "You're welcome," I said laughing at Daan who was struggling to keep a red hot chip in her mouth. She eventually got the chip down but it was quite funny to watch.

We decided that we would sit on the promenade while eating our chips rather than eating and walking since it was proving quite a task for Daan. We sat down on a bench, watching the sun set behind the sea whilst eating our food until one of our chips fell on the floor. I looked down and immediately realised what was going to happen. "We need to go, come on," I said, getting up. "What's up, where are we going, what's going on?" she asked with a confused look on her face as she followed me away from the bench we were sat on. I turned her around to show her the sight of around 7 seagulls fighting over one chip. "I was saving you from that but if we don't get out of here quickly, they'll carry on coming after us" I said reminiscing on all the times that seagulls had stolen the food from out of my hand. Those were good but terrifying times.