Chapter 6

Daan's POV:

I woke up to sunlight shining into my eyes, I guess I forgot to shut my curtains last night. I didn't end up sleeping much last night because I kept thinking about what we were going to do today. I was really nervous and I didn't want to get out of bed. I decided to stay in my room for as long as I could until Sari or Dom got impatient with me. Although that didn't go to plan...

My stomach started shouting at me, wanting me to go and get food but I decided that I could go a bit longer without food so I put my head back down on my pillow and tried to go back to sleep. Much to my disappointment, that didn't happen either because Sari wasn't the quietest person when she was going around the house. I decided that everything was against me staying in bed so I rolled out of bed, put a hoodie on and was about to walk downstairs when the fire alarm started going off. I then heard Dom say ".and that's why you read the recipe first". I walked downstairs with my hands over my ears to see that Sari had tried to make waffles for everyone but had set the temperature too high, so they caught on fire. While they were sorting the kitchen out I thought that it would be a good idea to save our ears and turn off the fire alarm. However, this was a struggle because I'm vertically challenged and can't reach the ceiling. Eventually, I turned it off by climbing on a chair.

After we had all had something to eat, we were all sitting watching a series when I asked what time we were going to pick up my things. "When do you want to go?" Sari asked. "Uhm, well, he's at work from 11 and gets back at about 5, so any time between then". "Just tell us when you're ready to go," said Dom. I had decided that it would be a safer option to go at 2 so then hopefully, he would be out and I would have enough time to get everything out.

"Daan you're going to dwell on this for the next 4 hours so go for a run to get your mind off of it," Dom said, seeing the worry in my eyes. With that being said I went to get changed for my run when I thought that it would be better if i went for a walk because it is less strenuous and so I could call people without them hearing me breathing heavily.

I got changed and went for my walk. I decided to call Beth since we had been getting along really well lately.

After I got back from my walk I actually felt quite relaxed until I reached the front door. I thought about what was going to happen in the next hour. We would have to set off from the house at half past 1 so we had time to plan everything out and see if he was actually in.

*At Max's apartment*

We got to mine and Max's apartment and we didn't see a car outside so he will more than likely be at work. We all walked up to the door, scared of what will be behind the door. I took my key out of my pocket and slowly started to unlock the door in case we heard any noises coming from inside. Luckily, we didn't hear any.

We walked through the door and were instantly hit with the smell of alcohol and beer. There were beer cans all over the floor, piles of his clothes everywhere and take away boxes left with mouldy food in them. We all covered our noses and mouths, and continued into the apartment. You could tell that it hadn't been cleaned since I had left, and I'd only been gone for a few days. We looked in all the rooms downstairs and couldn't see anyone so we crept up the stairs to the bedroom. The bedroom was surprisingly clean compared to the rest of the apartment. It looked like it hadn't been lived in.

It was time to start packing my things up. Most of the furniture in the apartment came with it so we only really needed to pack up my clothes.

We brought bin bags to put my clothes in because we felt like it would be easier to move them and I would be sorting through them back at Sari and Dom's. We started emptying all the drawers and putting my things in my bag when I heard Dom let out a little scream.

I quickly turned around to see what she was screaming at when I saw that she had opened a drawer full of the weapons that Max used to abuse me with. Also in the drawer was pictures of my body with and without scars. I noticed that most of the pictures were taken while I was asleep. Seeing the pictures really bothered me and I couldn't be in the apartment much longer. Luckily, we were done packing everything so we walked down the stairs with everything and put it in the car. I quickly walked back to the house to lock the door and posted a piece of paper through the letterbox. It simply said "We're done."

I walked back to the car with a sense of relief but I was worried that something would happen in the future. Hopefully everything will get better, right....