Smile, my Darling.

I still can't figure out what i had done to set Morgue off like that, but i decided to let him be for now. I talked to other people i found wandering around the freakshow. I talked to Jessa first, the bearded lady. After a while, my attention lacked and i became bored, not that she was boring, but i have ADHD and can sit still for a long time unless something interests me. I eventually found someone who did interest me, in fact he interested me from the start. Creature.

        "So, i see Morgue brought you here, do you have any unusual talents?" He started off the conversation. But, to be honest, i was still captivated by the amount of piercings he had adorned upon his body.

        "Not exactly, but id like to become a fire eater." I smiled excitedly, my eyes lighting up like a jackolantern.  "Asia has taught me some tricks already."

        "I think that act would suit you very well, i mean you must have had some sort of potential or interesting look if Morgue brought you here..." He stated without knowing how much that meant to me. I know you must think it odd that i thought that was an amazing compliment, but it was. I think, for once in my life, i had meaning. Yeah, that sounded cliche , but it was true, someone saw some use for me for once instead of being just another scary goth kid. "I mean, of course, you'll have to preform infront of the boss and a few other people, and if they like you then you'll be working here..."

        "woah woah woah, no one told me that?" Silly of me to think that it would be so simple. 

        "Don't worry, im sure the boss will love you, and if Morgue and Asia are there, im sure you'll get in."  My heart started racing, and just in that moment i heard the chime of small bells signaling that someone had walked in. I turned around immediately to find an indifferent looking Morgue walk through the doors. My eyes trailed his movements as he held a half full water bottle to his lips then back down to his side. "Oh..." Creature's face was smothered by a knowing grin that looked a little suspicious.

        "What are you looking at me like that for?" I couldnt stop myself from giggling nervously like a school girl with a dumb crush.

        "You have a crush on somebody." He said in a sing-song way just to mock me.

        "On who?" I asked stupidly but i wanted to play it cool.

        "Oh, i dont know...  MORGUE!" He shout out in response, earning my to hit his arm playfully and glare daggers into his soul.

        "What about me?" I nearly leapt out of my skin at the sound of Morgue's voice behind me. I scooched closer to Creature, because i was being the awkward teenager that i was. 

        "Nothing." I lied so obviously that i might as well have told him directly in full detail. But i didnt want it to be true myself, so i thought, the more i deny it the less it'll be true. He looked at me oddly and i looked away instantly. If i had upset him so easily before, who knows what else i can say that'll set him off like that. Besides, i just had to focus on impressing the boss to get into here as at least a temporary job. Even though i didnt want to, i have to avoid Morgue and focus on myself for a while. Thats going to be difficult. 

        "You're going to be at her audition most likely." Creature answered for me, because clearly my was inadequate. "When are those auditions anyways?"

        "Now." Morgue looked at me, expecting me to get up and follow him. But, when i didnt, he look my arm and lead me to where ever it was that they held these dreaded auditions. i dont think i was ready for this audition. For hell's sake, i only just barely learned how to extinguish the flame with my mouth, nothing special for this side show. I'm going to fail like i always do and then im going to have leave this place and end up on my own again. That was a horrible thought. I somehow was going to have to manage to impress them. Creature thank fully was following both Morgue and I to this secret location. If he was going to be there, then at least i was going to have some shot at getting into this freak show. Yanking my hand away from Morgue's, i looked around nervously, my heart pounding uncontrollably against my rib cage. I already saw the torches and lighter waiting for me to preform in front of the boss, and so suddenly i wasnt so sure of myself.

        "I can't do this." I looked frightendly at Morgue then thought id probably have a better chance getting out of this with Creature. "Please, im going to fuck up!" I begged, my eyes almost tearing up from anxiousness and compete dread.What if everything goes completely wrong and i set everything on fire? What if i set myself on fire? Even worse, what if i set the boss on fire?

        "Woah there, calm down." Creature comforted. " Besides, Morgue doesnt like a girl who cant cheat death." He added in the last part with a wink then threw me out infront of everyone. Of course, i , like a terrified puppy, scurried back to them. Instead of running back to Creature's side like i had planned, Morgue stepped in my way and I completely ran into him.

        "Ouch." I pouted then looked up at him and backed away a little.

        "Sorry, dear." He smiled, which wasnt exactly what i was expecting him to do. I mean, i ad sent him into a depressed frenzy just before and now he's okay with talking to me again? It was a little odd and i found myself carefully thinking over my words before talking to him so i could avoid that situation again. Okay, no talking about God, or any religion for that matter, and no sarcastic figures of speech. "Hey, are you okay?"  he must have noticed my shifting eyes and constant nervousness. I shook myself out of my thoughts and smiled, a fake smile of course.

        "I'm fine."

        "You need to work on your lying, it's quite obvious." My smile dropped and i looked down at my shoes, scuffing them on the floor slightly, just out of habit.

        "I'm just nervous, i guess." I shrugged. But it was a lot more than just being nervous, it was the fear of failure and humiliation all rolled up into one big ball of terror. Trust me, it wasnt a good feeling either.        

        He leaned down a little to catch my eyes and look at me directly. And it was like i was staring into a pale blue, beautiful ocean that were all pooled in his eyes. " At least smile, my darling." He smiled charmingly, and it almost elt like i was going to pass out. "Fake it if you have to , thats what the show business is about, soon you'll love it hear i promise. And besides, theres nothing to be nervous about, i'll be there with Todd, you're practically guaranteed a spot." He stood tall again and then all the energy that was swelling i his eyes had dissipated, just like that. He was back to his numb, emotionless self. But i couldn't exactly worry about that now, Because i had a show to preform...

***************************************************************************************************

COMMENT<VOTE<FOLLOW