Chapter 16

The room was lit by torches, but the flames only made the shadows worse, if possible. Stone statues of monsters lined the walls, silent guards who would never move. She wished the shadows would cover those. The shadows were everywhere. She could sense horrible things waiting in the darkness, creatures that would tear into her and devour her in seconds.

But none of this was as scary as him.

The Thief of the Flames.

Prometheus.

Her maker.

He sat on a golden throne, in the place least obscured by the dark. He radiated unholy power, the feeling sending waves of dread through her. His face was handsome and cruel at the same time, the face of a villain, a trickster, a con man.

He sat in silence, staring straight at her. Straight through her. His dark eyes reading her entirely.

Luna was almost great full for the the eagle when it entered. Clutched in its talons was a scroll. Her scroll.

The eagle dropped it in his lap, then landed on the back of his chair. Prometheus unrolled it, and a small, digital figure of Luna popped up.

"Lord Prometheus," her voice was bold and strong, stronger than she felt at the moment.

"I am Luna, daughter of Atlas and Artemis. I wish to serve you my Lord. It is the least I can do after you brought me into this world."

Prometheus raised an eyebrow but said nothing. The eagle snapped at tiny Luna with its beak.

"I await you, my Lord, at Mount Orthys. I am your servant forever." Tiny her bowed, then the image blinked out.

Prometheus sat back in his throne, a small smile playing at his face. Then, he spoke.

"Bring the goddess."

Luna gasped as one of the statues stepped away from the wall. It bowed to Prometheus, it's rocky skin cracking, before it turned, and marched away.

A moment later it returned, a silver cage in its bedrock arms. In the cave, a being was sitting on her knees, bleeding and bruised.

Artemis, goddess of the moon.

Mother.

The goddess raised her head, and Luna was startled to find that she looked no older then twelve. She glared at Prometheus, silver eyes flashing like stars. The look wasn't directed at her, but Luna shivered at the ferocity in her gaze.

Prometheus, however, simply laughed. He stood up, and went to Artemis.

"Your strength is almost gone, yet you fight until the end. Why not give up now? It would be so easy." His voice was calm and soothing, and Luna felt tempted to agree. But Artemis shook her head.

"A true huntress never gives up. Even when her prey is faster then the wind, or stronger then a bear." Artemis replied sharply. "She perseveres until the end, and receives her reward."

Prometheus rolled his eyes. He made a flicking gesture to the servant, who turned and carried the cage away.

"Take her to the carriage. I want her to be there when we meet her daughter."

Luna let out a yelp of surprise. Prometheus turned to her, and smiled. But the voice that echoed in the space wasn't his own.

"Luna. Luna wake up. We're here."