•••

after Jungkook is done with rehearsal, they choose a local cafe nearby. no specific conversation. just walking down the street shoulder by shoulder. until he breaks the ice turning to her.

"so how are you adjusting to this life?" Jungkook gestures to the city and himself smiling. his aura is so comforting, Soojin can't help but smile back.
"um it's certainly different than what i thought it'd be"
"i know what you mean it's been 3 years and i'm still not used to it" he nods and looks ahead.

Soojin glances at him. not distracted by any foreign drama, upclose, he's intimidatingly stunning.

"you know when Manager Choi said a rising star, i didn't think he meant you. you're way more than a rising star." she throws her gloved hands up confusedly, and Jungkook finds the small gesture cute.

"i mean in some ways we're always rising, aren't we?" he looks at her and she nods.
"i guess."

they sit at a table at the corner of the cafe. next to the glass windows over looking the street.
"when i was a trainee, i auditioned at bighit twice, but it just didn't happen then" Soojin says before sipping her warm drink.
"oh wow. i guess their loss" Jungkook points out "Yoongi hyung too"
at the sound of his name she almost chokes on her coffee. "what do you mean?" she asks confused.
"back when i was a trainee, he worked with bighit. i mean they parted on good terms and he's way more successful now. but still it took awhile for everyone to deal with his absence. specially that Hoseok and Namjoon hyung left with him." he talks as if reminiscing memories of dear people.

"were you guys...close?" She asks carefully.
"oh yeah, they always gave me advice and had my back." he smiles to himself and the sentiment sounds comforting.

the pair converse more about different experiences and memories as trainees. Soojin tells him how she's looking for a new place, and Jungkook offers to recommend a few agencies that helped him when he had just started. everything seems to be going great.

a couple hours later, they leave the cafe, walking out to the street again, Jungkook turns toward her with a forced smile.
"okay don't look now, but there's like a dozen paparazzi hiding at the corner. they probably have years worth of photos from us by now"

she tries not to look but takes a glance at the corner of her eye and Jungkook laughs.
"should we...do something...special?" she asks skeptically to which he replies gently.
"whatever you're comfortable with"

but Soojin doesn't know what she's comfortable with. looking around the street she makes up her mind and looks up at him.
"um, wanna hold hands?" she awkwardly asks.
"sure" Jungkook immediately opens his hand in front of her.
Soojin stares at it for a second before slowly lacing her fingers with his.
his touch is warm and his grip is sure.
as they walk down the street in silence they can hear the clicking of cameras around them, but no one specifically in sight.
Jungkook turns toward her and Soojin looks back.
"i know this is fake dating or whatever, but i have a feeling we will be real friends"

against the cold breeze, Soojin feels her face warm up. she's holding his hand and walking the street somehow freely, but at the pit of her stomach she feels guilt. all the excitement and wamrth gives it's place to a cold and sad feeling in her throat. and all that she wants in that moment is to hold Yoongi's hands, not his.

after a couple more minutes she slowly takes her hand out of Jungkook's and he turns to look at her "you okay?"
Soojin gives him a sad smile before looking down.
"i'm sorry. i can't"

Jungkook studies her closely before smiling.
"it's okay, i kinda figured"
as they pass by stores and cafes, casting different lights on their faces Soojin can't shut this longing inside of her.

"i have to go home" she stops walking.
"okay. we could split a cab, i live close to Hoseok hyung's" Jungkook says.
Soojin hesitates for a second but eventually looks at him her eyes glassy and her brows furrowed "no not there"
"okay i'll call you a cab" Jungkook pats her shoulder.

"i really am sorry"

"don't be" he smiles.

•••

about an hour later, Soojin arrives at the door. she reaches out to type the code, but hesitates for a moment. Not sure of what awaits them on the otherside, but more sure of her feelings right now than ever, she writes the pass and with a beep the door opens only to see pitch black darkness.

she turns the light on and walks in. checking the time, it's 10:34. he should be home by now.

"Yoongi?" she calls out a few times but no answers.
after checking the rooms and realizing he's not there, she sits in the living room with the purpose of waiting his arrival. but the urgency of her feelings leave her with no patience. she takes out her phone and dials his number.

___