71. Hero - Law of attraction

I'm staring at my almost empty glass as she says the words. It's me and her, us, she whispered. But it is. Is it really?

"You sure?" I swirl the glass for a change of scenery. The thick liquid billows through the glass. A perfect equation for Josephine and me. The whiskey laps against the walls of the fancy tumbler, up and down. Up and down and comes to a stop with a clear view of the base. I keep swirling the glass, not wanting to see the bottom.

I startle as I feel her hand on my back, and I instantly look around me. Jo leans towards me, closer to the bar, and to me, "Yes."

I move my body towards her and nuzzle my face into the crook of her neck, into her flowery smelling hair, "You have said that before," I whisper.

She jolts back onto her barstool, and I don't blame her. It is rude of me to say that. Rude, but the truth.

"That's not fair," our whispers turn into angry murmurs with every word that's being said.

I tilt my head slightly to meet her eyes. She's full of anxiety, her chest moving at a hasty paste. Making me regret my snippy remark.

"I'm sorry,"

"Me too," I look up and observe her sweet smile. Jo could throw it back in my face. Easily, with no pun intended, she could say she has heard the I'm sorry's too often for her own good, but she doesn't.

I look around us, too many people in this god-dammed bar. God, I wish I could hold her. But I can't, we can't. We never can if we stay in this place of secrecy. And darkness. This place is dark. The constant hiding is cloudy and dense. Taking its toll on both of us.

I turn my bar stool in her direction, to where our bodies face one another.

Not literally, unfortunately. Even when we argue, I want to be close to her. I sigh at the thought of sharing a bed with her. It's been long. Too long.

She nervously plucks at the ends of her hair. Looking around, I assume for Shane. I'm not ready to give up on this golden-haired angel, on us. Although it's been a rocky road and it still is. It's worth it. We have climbed back up many times and will continue to do so. Being with her, it's worth it.

"What's on your mind?" she kindly asks.

"Law of attraction," I huff, and a little v forms between her eyebrows.

"Law of attraction?" she's confused, but no way I'm sharing my earlier thoughts.

"Yeah. Don't mess with the law of attraction," I clarify, but the little v turns into a full-fledged frown.

She's expecting an answer, but luckily for me, I see Shane and Inanna walking our way. I look past Jo and raise a hand. She turns her head, sees Shane and Inanna, and turns back to me with her eyes pinched, "We're not done with this conversation, young man," her playful manner immediately brightens my mood.

"Sure, sure," I chuckle.

"Shore, shore," Jo mocks.

"What are we drinking?" Inanna asks. I turn my head to my now empty glass.

"Nothing,"

Inanna leans against the bar, her chest pressed against it, causing a small heart-attack for the poor bartender. Jo giggles, seeing what I see.

The bartender leans in. She has his full attention now, "four shots, please," she smiles a wicked smirk. Go on, Inanna, get us free drinks tonight. Would Jo do the same when I'm not there? No, she wouldn't.

The bartender smiles coyly and gets to work with the shots. I follow him and see him reaching for a bottle of tequila. Guess we're working with a hangover tomorrow. Nice.