9) prejudice

(Day 6)

      I sleep in until 2, trying to soak up the feeling of the real bed while I can. I'm leaving tomorrow, and hopefully early. From everything Tyler and I have talked about and the time that we've spent together, I think we've come to peaceful terms. I highly doubt that he'd kill or imprison me after everything. I may still have resentment towards him, but I can't help it when he's part of a pack. At least I'm not seething with rage at his very existence. 

      I'll probably miss this place, but it was sort of nice to have my last experience with a pack before I left them forever. Of course, this was never in the plan, but it was still nice. I try to take all of the luxuries in, but I also know I'll have these accommodations once I reach London. This wasn't the worst setback in the world, but I know that by tomorrow, I'll have to start putting my walls back up, hiding behind a facade. The key to survival is nonexistence- no one knows your name, who you are, where you're from, and on top of that, they're sort of scared of you. 

      I pack up my stuff, though there's not much to pack up, and get ready for the last time while I'm here. I leave my hair down for once, brushing it out. It's so much softer than usual, which I can thank the conditioner for. My entire body feels softer, cleaner- I'm not so rough around the edges. Comfort is a foreign sensation that's too easy to fall into and much harder to bring yourself out of.

      After a couple hours of pondering my thoughts and pushing away my wolf's cries to stay, since she loves comfort just as much as the next person, I hear Tyler knock on the door. I walk over and open it, to see him nervously shaking before regaining his composure.

      "Would you like to have dinner with me on our last night?" He asks, before coughing and correcting himself, "I mean- your last night."

      "So I'm free to go tomorrow?" I ask, my eyes wide and eager.

      "Well, obviously. I'm not going to keep you here any longer than you have to be." 

      My face breaks out into a smile, "Then let's go eat dinner. In celebration." He half smiles and nods in response, leading the way as always. I stay a couple steps behind him, still thinking about how overjoyed I am that the setback has come to an end.

      The table is set a little different this time- the lights are dimmed and there's candles placed on the table. We each have glasses of water, and plates full of lemon chicken, buttery asparagus, and garlic pasta. This has to be the best meal since I've been here. 

      "So, I have a sort of- present for you. Since it's your last night here and all. I thought I'd do you a favor," He says, as I listen intently and eat at the same time.

      He pulls out a pill bottle and hands it to me, and I'm amazed when I see that they're what I was supposed to pick up in Ember. I gulp down my water to wash down the food, and Tyler keeps his steady eyes on me.

      "Thank you, like seriously thank you. This was very kind. You saved me two days off of my trip." I put them in the pocket of my jacket, still eating. I sort of feel bad for not getting him anything, but I didn't know anything about this. I finish my food and wash it down with the rest of my water.

      I look over to see he's cleared his plate as well, but before I can get up, Tyler's eyes are telling me to sit down.

      "I did one more thing," Tyler says, speaking slowly, "I wanted to leave you with one more gift. Compassion. A reason to stay, if you choose. Not here, of course, I mean in the U.S. I know you don't want a mate, but maybe that would change if you found him somewhere. I sympathize with you, and I want you to find someone that might give you more reason to live than resentment. You're not a bad person, Cassandra."