72

"Are you tipsy?" Chang Shi Gui noticed the flush on Ning Xi's face and felt somewhat worried.

"Hmm?" Ning Xi alighted from the car, and tucked her hair behind her ear. She replied, "No, I'm just ... in a very good mood." The night breeze lifted her obsidian black hair across her face, making a fine contrast against her snowy pale skin.

Chang Shi Gui was in a daze when he felt a pair of warm and soft hands encircle his neck. Immediately, he was stunned, as though he was struck by a bolt of electricity.

When the bodyguards who were escorting them back saw the scene unfold before them, all of them immediately looked down, and did not dare to look at the couple who were locked in an embrace.

Perhaps the night view was stunning, or simply because Chang Shi Gui under the night light had touched her heart, Ning Xi felt her entire body relax. At least, at this moment, she had forgotten about the pain that was buried deep within her heart. She felt relaxed and comfortable.

Chang Shi Gui put his hands around her waist and said, "The night view is beautiful. Accompany me for a walk."

Ning Xi looked up at the sky. The crescent moon hung up high, looking like the corners of a smile. "Sure."

Chang Shi Gui's palm was wide and warm, and he could wrap Ning Xi's hand into his. The couple walked down a small garden trail in the estate. Ning Xi let out a huge sigh. "I've stayed here for some time now, but it's the first time that I'm exploring the place."

There was lush greenery around the estate. In order to attract the high rollers, they even planted numerous expensive plants, creating a beautiful, green environment.

"Back then, there was also a large forest area surrounding my house." The corners of Ning Xi's lips curved up into a smile. "Since it was an apartment that my parents' workplace had raised funds to construct, hence we were very familiar with our neighbours. From the aunts from the eastern side of the estate to the uncles from the west, all of them would give me small gifts whenever they met me."

Chang Shi Gui listened on silently, as Ning Xi continued on about the past that he wasn't a part of.

"On the day my mother fell off from the building, I had just gone to purchase groceries. I had just reached the stairs ..." Ning Xi's lashes trembled slightly, and she took a while before she recovered. With a smile, she said, "When I went out in the morning, my mother had still told me that she would bring me to pay respects to my father. Because it was the first month anniversary of my dad's passing, she had dreamt of my father telling her that he didn't have enough money to spend."

Chang Shi Gui held her hand tightly. In the moment, he realised that any words of comfort were useless.

"Shi Gui." Ning Xi suddenly stopped in her tracks and turned around to look at him. Behind her, a couple of bugs flew around weakly. It was close to the end of autumn, so these bugs would be welcoming death very soon. "I ..."

"Mr. Chang?"

A bespectacled middle-aged man walked over to them with a cheerful look, then eyed Ning Xi with an equivocal gaze. "Taking a stroll?"

Chang Shi Gui nodded lightly.

Noting Chang Shi Gui's somewhat cold demeanour, the bespectacled man was put into an awkward position. He felt that he might have imposed on Chang Shi Gui and his girlfriend's date, hence he was being slighted. He could only give a weak smile and say, "I'm sorry to bother the both of you. I'll take my leave."

After the middle-aged man left, Chang Shi Gui turned to Ning Xi, "What were you going to say just now?"

Ning Xi looked at the hurried figure of the leaving man and suddenly burst out laughing, as though she had figured out the solution to a difficult problem, and the hesitation under her eyes disappeared without a trace.