🩹sixty-four

a home and a family.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

beomgyu sits quietly on the living room floor, hyejin sits on the sofa behind him, drying his hair with a towel as they watch television. the boy's scalp tickles as the woman runs her long fingers through his damp hair. 

he pats his thighs carefully, feeling the soft fabric of taehyun's pajama trousers, he had to borrow clothes. because he hardly owns any now. yongsun and taehyun's loud bickers come from the kitchen, almost drowning out the good place playing at full volume. 

this house feels like home. even though it's loud, even though it's messy, even though his dad isn't around, this feels like home. beomgyu wishes he had been braver and come here earlier. because this is a proper home, this is a proper family. 

"your fringe is getting pretty long, blossom." hyejin says, but beomgyu can't understand what she's saying because of all the noise. 

"what did you say?" he asks, turning around towards her, to attempt to read her lips. 

"can you two shut up in there?!" she screams at the monkeys in the kitchen, "we'll get noise complaints if you don't quit fighting about who's setting the table."

"setting the table is a job for losers! and we have to yell! the television is too loud!" taehyun screams in return, only to be flipped off by his mum. beomgyu's eyes go wide and he's even more surprized when her son flips her off too. 

"oh pack it up, babe!" yongsun laughs, walking into the living room to turn off the television. "you're scaring, beomgyu." 

as soon as those words leave her mouth, hyejin and taehyun hide their hands behind their backs and taehyun shuffles into the living room to check on his boyfriend. hyejin rubs beomgyu's back to say sorry. 

"sorry, gyu." taehyun whispers, squatting down to hug beomgyu tightly. 

"it's fine, i'm just not used to this. but i like it." 

"are you sure?" hyejin asks with a curious eyebrow, beomgyu is usually afraid of these things. 

"yeah, let's go set the table." 

"get up losers, we're setting the table." yongsun screams, posing like superman for some unknown reason, before going back into the kitchen. 

"don't you have track practise tomorrow, gyu?" taehyun asks and beomgyu's smile disappears. 

"what's wrong blossom?" hyejin asks, "are you feeling sick? do you not like the food?"

"i can't go tomorrow." beomgyu squeaks out, tightening the grip on his fork.

"what do you mean you can't go? we'll drive you, don't worry." yongsun says with a smile, spooning more peas onto beomgyu's plate. she doesn't know when the last time he ate was and it worries her. 

"that's not it.  i can't go, i don't have my shoes." the boy continues, he sounds like a mouse. and looks like he's about to break out into loud wails.