15 - THE STARS

When Aurora comes to, everything is flashing red

When Aurora comes to, everything is flashing red. She groans, rubbing her head from the impact. Looking towards the front of the ship, she sees Valkyrie and Thor slowly waking up as well. Beside her, Bruce is leaning against a wall, blinking rapidly as he tries to figure out what's going on.

"Are we dead?" Aurora groans out, earning a small laugh from Brunnhilde. The dark-haired woman turns around to face her to which she offers a measly thumbs up as she pushes herself off of the floor. "I feel so much weaker than I did before, that did quite the number on me."

"We'll get you back to the stars soon, lady of light," Thor retorts as he turns the power back on and the lights flicker from red to how they were normally. Aurora's face falls at this and she knows Valkyrie sees this, too. "We just need to kick some long-lost sister ass first."

Bruce scoffs at this, "Yeah, that'll be a piece of cake."

"I feel as though you're being sarcastic, are you being sarcastic?" the blonde looks over at him with an exasperated look. He meets her gaze before offering a solemn nod and she sighs. "Why can I only be human when there are inescapable problems in my realms? Why can I not just have a good time?"

"That's the life of a hero, Aurora," Thor comments from the front, pulling them up into a new realm. Judging by the golden beauty everywhere, she figures this must be Asgard. She's never seen it up close before, but standing up to look out the windows, she understands why the realm is regarded as one of the most beautiful. Gently, her fingers press against the glass.

"Golden, like you," Valkyrie whispers beside her, a statement meant for only the two of them to hear. Aurora offers her a sad smile. The woman pipes up, speaking to the others, "I never thought I would be back here."

In between the seats of Valkyrie and Thor, Bruce looks out the window with a shrug, "I thought it'd be a bit nicer. I mean, not that it's not nice. It's just, it's on fire."

Valkyrie ignores him, instead pointing to the screen in front of them, "Here, in the mountains. Heat signatures, people clustered together. She's coming for them."

"Okay, drop me off at the palace, I'll lead her away," the god nods, a serious expression plastered across his face. Aurora looks at him with wide eyes.

"You're not going alone, I can go with you," Aurora reassures, a wild expression taking over her features, "You can't be serious, Thor."

"Yeah, what are you trying to do? Get yourself killed? Not happening," Valkyrie adds, looking at Thor as if he were crazy. She knew Thor was bold, but she never thought he would suggest something as downright stupid as facing Hela alone. They saw what happened when he tried to face her with Loki and her at his side and it did not end well.

Thor simply shakes his head, "The people trapped down there are all that matters. While I'm dealing with Hela, I need you three to help get everyone off Asgard."

"How the hell are we supposed to do that?" Bruce asks, looking at Valkyrie and Aurora with a questionable expression. The blonde just shrugs, having less of an idea than he does. They have less of a plan than they did the first time they faced Hela and Aurora had twice as much power then as she does now. She's not even sure she'll be any help at all right now, but she wants to try her best.

As if Valkyrie can sense her nerves, she takes the blonde's hand that's settled on the top of her chair and squeezes it gently, giving her a reassuring look. When no one is looking, she presses a soft kiss to it. Aurora squeezes back.

"I have a man on the ground," Thor tells them, staring straight ahead. His eyes turn golden yellow for a moment as he stills. She has no idea who their ally is, but it's clear this is Thor's way of communicating with him. She just hopes they aren't too late.

In a last-ditch effort, Aurora insists, "Thor, let me come with you. Valkyrie and Bruce can handle the Asgardians, but you need backup. I won't let you get yourself killed, you're my friend."

"This is something I must do alone," the man reiterates, "It is my sister, my blood. Just make sure Asgard is safe. All that matters is that my people make it out of this alive for they are the heart of Asgard. Promise me that."

They land the ship and Aurora takes a deep breath as they begin to recount their minuscule plan. Thor informs them, "I'm going to go to the armory and get this ship a weapon and make sure you three have enough to defend yourselves in case you need to. Just stay hidden and wait here."

He departs from the ship and Aurora releases a deep breath, resisting the urge to bite her fingernails out of nerves. "This is going to go horribly, isn't it? I have an awful feeling."

"Just breathe, Aurora," Valkyrie sighs as she sits on the edge of the ship with her legs hanging off. She pats the spot next to her and the blonde reluctantly takes a seat. "We are going to do everything we can, we'll make it out of this alive."

"I'm not going to be able to stay," she whispers, leaning her head on the woman's shoulders. "Being off Sakaar has made me feel better, but it's not going to be enough."

"I know, my dear," Brunnhilde sighs, pressing a gentle kiss to her forehead. "Just promise me you'll visit?"

Aurora chuckles softly at this, "You know, not many people get to say they've romanced the stars. You've accomplished quite the feat. I'll see you again, Brunnhilde, I just can't promise when."

"I'm Asgardian, I've got about three-thousand years left, give or take," the woman tells her, a small but sad smile on her face, "As long as I get to see you once more. Ideally, not in the face of tragedy or chaos next time."

"Yeah, ideally," she laughs, her mind lingering on the words "next time." "I don't even think the stars will feel like home without you."

Beside her, Brunnhilde lets out a loose sigh, keeping her arm around Aurora's shoulders. "That will not stop me from gazing at them every night, hoping you are looking down at me as well. I will profess my heart into the sky and I know you will hear me."

"I'll keep an ear out, my love," Aurora smiles. "But for now, we have a war to win."