I Cast Spells and Wake the Dead(Cedric x reader)

(This is a Pushing Daisies AU! But Angsty)

You felt like you were going to be sick when you heard Amos Diggory's anguished cries. Your heart broke in two when you finally saw Cedric lying stone still on the grass. You pushed passed as many people as you could, trying desperately to get to Cedric before you were pushed into the castle.

"Professor Dumbledore!" you called out. His eyes met yours over his half-moon spectacles and he nodded briefly before whispering something to Professor Snape and then to Mr. Diggory, who then looked up at you. He knew you well since you and Cedric had been friends since before you began your studies at Hogwarts. But he had no idea the terrible secret you'd been keeping your entire life. At least, until now.

In fact, the only people who knew where Professor Dumbledore and the Head of each of the Hogwarts Houses. They had all been told of your unique gift before your arrival. With the help of a few professors and Madame Pomfrey, Cedric's body to the hospital wing. You followed behind as quickly as possible, ignoring Mr. Diggory's questions. You couldn't answer him now. Your mind was moving too quickly.

"Thank you, Madame Pomfrey," Professor Sprout said, "Perhaps you could come with me to help tend to the other champions. I'll explain some things along the way." Madame Pomfrey looked confused but followed Professor Sprout out of the room. "Mr. Diggory..." you started and then trailed off. Your eyes were glued to Cedric's body. "Leave me in peace, Y/N. Please." You smiled softly as you finally looked up at him. "I will do better than that. Did you know how much I adore your son? How much I-I love him? We've been together for so long and yet, even he doesn't know what I'm about to tell you."

Mr. Diggory looked perplexed, but didn't object so you continued on. "I was born with a unique...gift. Well, a gift and a curse. I'm not an ordinary witch, Mr. Diggory. I-I, well, it's easier if I show you." With that, you slowly walked closer to Cedric. Mr. Diggory began protesting but you looked at him with pleading eyes. "Let me do this. For you." You leaned down and pressed a kiss to Cedric's forehead before backing away as quickly as possible.

In an instant, Cedric's eyes popped open and he gasped for breath. Tears began pouring down Mr. Diggory's face as well as yours. "My boy! My son! You're alive!" His gaze met yours and he held out his arms. You shook your head. "How did you do it? Why haven't you told everyone?" You shifted on your feet uncomfortably.

"It's not without its risks, Mr. Diggory. If any of You-Know-Who's Death Eaters found out what I can do, I would be in real danger." Cedric looked at you with wide eyes. "You? You saved me, Y/N?" You shrugged as you wiped away your own tears. "Of course I did. I love you, Cedric."

Cedric practically jumped up from the bed to hug you but you held out your hand and tried to back away. In the process, you fell over another bed onto the floor. Cedric laughed and so did you before he tried again. "Ced, wait! You can't."

"Why not?" he asked with a chuckle and you shook your head. "One touch: alive. Second touch: dead again. Once I've revived someone, I can't touch them again or they'll die and I won't be able to bring them back." Cedric frowned deeply. You could practically see the gears turning in his head.

"You mean I can never hug you again? I can't hold your hand. I can't...I can't kiss you?" You felt your face getting hot and you shook your head. "Nothing. No physical contact. As I said, it's a gift and a curse. But you're alive, and you have your family and that's all that matters."

"But I won't have you anymore." You smiled a little at that. "Yes you will. I just won't be able to touch you. It doesn't change that I love you, Cedric." Cedric didn't look appeased, but you did your best to continue smiling at him. "I think I'll go. You two need sometime alone." You turned on your heel and left the hospital wing, your heart breaking more with every step you took away from him. You knew your relationship would probably not survive this, but at least he was alive. That's what you had to keep telling yourself or you would have crumbled right there in the corridor.