Chapter Fourteen: Loving You

Start from the beginning

He leaned over and gave Dream a small hug, before twisting to face the jetway. "See you soon?"

Dream nodded slowly, and a reluctant smile settled in. "Soon."

George didn't have the heart to tell him that each step was another vacant move, another stride of crushed longing.

Halfway through, a voice sounded down the tunnel. George froze, turning around, hoping it was what he wanted. Dream. Dream was calling him, he was calling him back—maybe, maybe for all the right reasons—

He dropped the luggage handle in his hand, ignoring the clack it fell down with. "Dream?" He called, taking a few dubious steps towards him.

A hearty, near-mad laugh rang through the walls. "George! George, you ought to know. I'll miss you. I'll miss you so much and everything will feel so empty without you."

He ran back up the corridor. "What?" He stopped at the sight of Dream, pale hand tangled in his messy hair.

"I've been an idiot, George. Maybe I don't deserve this, maybe I don't deserve you."

"Don't be stupid." He breathed.

"Promise you'll break my heart?" His smile dropped. "Don't forget about it. Don't love me halfway."

His eyes widened and he rushed forwards, barrelling fiercely into arms. Dream wrapped his arms around his frame, burying his face in George's hair.

"You idiot." George muttered in a hushed whisper, the salty taste of tears on his lips. "Give me a proper confession. It's the least you can do."

"I'm loving you, George." Dream squeezed tighter, ignoring the people around them. "Forgive me. Don't let tomorrow leave me in ruins."

"Bloody idiot." George murmured, grabbing his face with two hands and Dream's mind broke—it was so very gentle in the way George was, pulling him in harshly and pushing him away softly. He fractured at the tenderness of the kiss, fell to pieces when his eyes fluttered shut.

The heat stoked in his chest warmed his cheeks as he melted at the softness of his lips—oh, they were a mess, but at least they could be whole.

When George pulled away, Dream seized his jaw and drew him back in, thawing, pausing, worshipping. It felt right. I could get lost here. His heart pounded, every breath tasting like cinnamon and smelling like vanilla. I could forget about everyone else. All I need is you.

A low voice cut through the air. "The gate will be closing soon." Two ladies stared apologetically. They drew back from each other, Dream holding him at arm's length.

"I'm loving you." He repeated. "And you don't need to love me back yet, I just need you to know that I'm loving you." He wiped a stray tear away from George's face, and George laughed.

"I promise."

--

When George settled on his seat, he immediately reached over to press his face against the glass, searching for Dream. He found him at a large window, waving wildly to him, beaming. He waved back, swallowing the lump in his throat.

He'd promised. It would all be different now.

He looked back, watching in amusement as Dream breathed into the glass, drawing a big heart in the middle of the fog. Then he waved, arm looking like it was aching even as the plane began to roll, even as the plane began to pick up speed, even as the plane lifted its front legs and took into the air, even the airport disappeared beneath a bundle of clouds.

I'm loving you, George. I'm loving you, George.

When his eyes left to meet the front of the plane, a couple caught his eye. It was the elderly couple again, and the woman was staring right at him with a nostalgic look in her eye. Her husband laced her fingers in his, watching her with gaping admiration.

She sent George a knowing look, snickering to herself when he flushed a dark red.

I'm loving you, George.

"Wait, you're—"

"You never answered my question, lad, but I think I have my answer already." She waved a finger at him, feigning innocence when he glared at her.

"Ma'am—"

"That your boyfriend? He's a real piece of work, that one."

George groaned, burying his face in his hands.

I'm loving you too, Dream.

FIN

quick note: i will be continuing to write, but most of my works will be uploaded to ao3. this may change, as i have planned another book for the future (excited for you guys to see it!)

i might take down fmh one day because i'm not happy with the writing. a consistent upload schedule really messes with the quality, but who knows? in the meantime, lmk if you guys would be interested in a small one-shot book.

love you all<3