6. The Santino Name

Start from the beginning

Leave it to the eldest.

I sigh and begin what I came here for in the first place, "How is it going on your end?"

Stefano does this annoying thing where he'll stare at me for the longest, do his stupid little smirk, and speak, as if he knows more than me.

"Sales are doing well, though you shouldn't have to worry about that, little Nico." Here we go. His patronizing tone makes me feel tempted to pull my gun from my waistband and set it off right in his shiny ass forehead. "I told you months ago that I can take over the business for you."

"And I've refused every single time, have I not?" I tilt my head and clench my jaw. He's been getting more and more eager and if I didn't know any better, I would assume that this family friend isn't as much of a friend as he wants me to think.

He makes a sound in the back of his throat and lifts his drink to his mouth. In the meantime, I continue, "The business belongs to the Santino name. My name. I can handle my business. Because it's mine."

He scoffs and swishes the alcohol in his mouth before swallowing, "Last I saw, 10% of your empire became mine when your father died."

"And who does the 90% belong to?" I scan his bland expression before arching a brow, "È quello che pensavo (That's what I thought)."

Stefano chuckles humorlessly and leans forward, his pudge of a belly hindering him slightly, "This cockiness of yours isn't a good look for the face of a trillion dollar enterprise."

I huff in amusement and call over one of the scantily dressed waitresses, "It's a good thing you don't have to worry about that."

The waitress rushes over with an obviously fake smile on her face, eyes darting between Stefano and I nervously.

"No need to be nervous, darling." With reassuring words, her shoulders remain tense and I can tell she's been in harsher situations either in her life or by working here. "How long have you worked here?"

She gulps and shifts awkwardly, eyes scanning the expanse of the room over her shoulder, "Um, three weeks."

I arch a brow as I catch the eye of the owner. He's new - that's obvious considering I'd never seen him before. He looks uncomfortable at the aspect of the young woman standing here. Almost as uncomfortable as the young woman when she quickly looks away from his harrowing glare.

Carefully, I take her shaky hand into mine, "What's your name?"

I can feel Stefano's eyes on me but I ignore it, instead focusing my attention on the woman.

"Candice." She says softly.

I point to the bruise peeking out of her small shirt. A bruise she probably thought she hid well. "Candice, how did you get that?"

She glances down, eyes widening in fear. She sputters out a lie, "Curling iron. Burned myself right before I got out here."

I inspect her braided hair and huff. "The other girls burn themselves too?" She nods eagerly and I know what I have to do. "How about I take care of the pest that hasn't stopped staring at you since you walked over here, hmm? The one that hurt you?"

The woman pauses, chest heaving as she bites her lip in relief. "Okay."

"Okay." I repeat after her before pulling stacks of bills out and resting them on the table between us, "How about you take this, share it out amongst yourselves when your night is over." Her eyes widen as she looks at the man behind us yet again. Of course he takes more than his share. "Don't worry about him, Candice. Just go."

When the tears fill her eyes and she sends me an appreciative nod before walking away, I down the rest of my drink and turn to Stefano who hasn't stopped glaring at me since.

"What the hell are you about to do, little Nico?"

The smirk on my face isn't enough to reflect the joy in my veins at my upcoming actions, "Pest control."

yo, my brother hit theeeeeeee fuck outta my arm - like i don't understand why it hurt so damn much

also, if you haven't already seen my announcement then you don't know that white cowboys have taken a hold of me and that i started a draft about a cowboy and i got just about everything planned out so 🙈😏 idk we'll seeeeeee

also also, pretend this was all in italian lmfaoaoaoao