But the way Caroline called him worse with such anger and hatred made his chest ache. He hated the way she glared at him, the way she pointed her finger at him, the venom in her voice.

Klaus wanted nothing more than to see Caroline smile at him.

Smile because of him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your first love is what's stopping you from falling in love again, then maybe you're not cherishing your first love, you're treating it like a burden.

Kol took a deep breath, closing his eyes. He wished he could take those words out of his head, he didn't want to think about what Aliza had said. She was just a child, her words shouldn't be bothering him so much.

He was lying in his bed. It was almost the middle of the night, he had resigned to his room the minute he came back from the grill, not wanting to look at Bonnie's face and feel guilty for snapping at her out of the blues. She didn't know anything, Kol was aware of that but he couldn't control himself around her.

He tried to tell himself that maybe it's because she reminded him of Davina, but the truth was the exact opposite. At the same time, he couldn't pinpoint what it was about her that made him lose control so often.

Maybe it was the softness in her eyes when it came to her friends and students, maybe it was her selflessness(even though Kol used to think that she was suicidal), maybe it was her undying love for the people that she cared about. Or maybe it was her strength that awed him.

He pressed his hands against his eyes and groaned in frustration.

A knock on the door startled him. He got up and made his way towards the door to open it with a frown on his face. He had assumed everyone was asleep.

Bonnie stood there with a plate in her one hand. Kol tried not to stare at her face.

"You skipped dinner, I thought you might be hungry." She said, lifting the plate up to show him.

Kol nodded, completely caught off guard. He stepped beside and further opened the door, gesturing for Bonnie to come inside. It was rather awkward how he forgot how to speak for a moment at the sight of her.

He cleared his throat and said, "Thank you."

Bonnie placed the plate on the nearby table and gave him a nod with a smile. She walked towards the door and was about to leave but Kol instinctively grabbed her arm.

Both of them looked down, at his hand on her arm.

Kol opened his mouth but didn't say anything because his mind was focused on the sweet scent of Bonnie and how warm her skin was against his hand and on the specks of brown scattered in the deep greens of her eyes making him dizzy and unable to breathe.

"Do you want anything else?" Bonnie asked, her voice bringing him back to reality.

"Wh-what?"

"You're holding my arm, Kol." She pointed at his hand, "Do you need something?"

"I-did you eat?" He blurted out, not knowing what else to say.

She pressed her lips together before nodding, "Yeah, I did. You were the only one that didn't show up." Klaus didn't show up too but according to Caroline, he was not hungry. Her friend's gloomy voice made Bonnie think that something must have happened between them. Though she decided to ask later.

"Great. I-"

 Kol's eyes drifted towards Bonnie's lips and he forgot how to function again.

She tilted her head, not understanding Kol's sudden flustered state. She wished he could just say whatever it is that he wanted to say so that she could go back to her room and not think about him.