Minerva

Roman gods

Minerva

According to the Romans, Minerva was born from the head of Jupiter, patriarch of the Roman pantheon. Why his head? Well, Jupiter was once told a prophecy that his child would become more powerful than him, and so upon finding out that he had impregnated the titaness Metis, he swallowed her whole. Still alive inside of Jupiter, Metis made armor and weapons for her daughter, and all this commotion gave Jupiter a headache. He had the smithing god split his head open, and out jumped Minerva, fully-grown and decked out in armor. Minerva became the goddess of wisdom and is famously one of the virgin goddesses who fiercely protects her chastity. So, that's where Minerva is from.

Jupiter loved all his children, but if he had to pick a favorite, it would probably have been Minerva, the goddess of wisdom.

Facts about Minerva

Name: Minerva

A major deity and one of the 12 Olympian Gods

Jurisdiction: She was described as being the Roman Goddess of Wisdom

Mythology: Mythical Family Tree or Relatives: Minerva was believed to be the Goddess of Wisdom. She was the daughter of Jupiter and Juno

Depiction / Description / Symbol: the owl, the snake and the olive tree

Capitoline Triad - The Capitoline Triad consisted of three major gods - Jupiter, Juno and Minerva. The most important temples in Rome were dedicated to the triad of gods and situated on the Capitoline Hill.

Name of equivalent Greek Goddess: Pallas Athena

Hr festival, called Quinquatria, was celebrated on March 19 through to March 23. On the first day of her festival no blood was shed, but that on the last four there were contests of gladiators.

Minerva and Neptune

In ancient times, each town had a special deity, a god that looked after them.

Neptune, Lord of the Sea, was a very powerful god. He loved attention. He loved having towns build temples to worship him. He loved the gifts people brought him.

Neptune was always on the lookout for towns that had not yet been claimed by a god. He wanted as many towns as possible to call his own. Although towns could only have one god to watch over them, gods could watch over as many towns as they chose.

One day, Minerva, goddess of wisdom, and Neptune, lord of the sea, both claimed a coastal village. Normally, the people in the village would have been thrilled to be selected by a god to watch over them. But two gods at once? A town could have only one guardian, and they did not want to choose. They did not want to anger either god.

Minerva, who was wise as well as beautiful, understood their worry. She suggested that both gods should give the town a gift. The townspeople could decide which gift was better. Neptune loved the idea. The townspeople, if possible, were even more nervous than before.

Neptune tapped the side of the mountain. Water flowed out in a beautiful stream. Fresh water was so important. The people were sure Neptune had won. When they tasted the water, they tried to smile, but they had to spit the water out. It was salt water!

Then Minerva waved her hand. An olive tree began to grow. The people tasted the olives. Smiles broke out. The olives were delicious. The olive tree would provide food, shelter, and oil for cooking. It was a magnificent gift indeed.

But no coastal village would risk angering the lord of the sea, the mighty Neptune. Fortunately for the people, they did not have to choose.

Neptune threw back his head and laughed his mighty roar. "Yours is a far better gift than mine, my lovely niece. The village is yours!"

Even today, Minerva's special tree is the olive.