"Still. What will our family say, huh?" Mama Chen said, quite offended.

Brett looked hurt at the words he had heard but he didn't want to fight. It was not about him or his preference anyway. Mama Yang was quick to look at Brett with an apologetic look. Papa Chen cleared his throat and the silence was ringing in their ears.

"Well ma, it's Belle's wedding. She could do whatever she wants as long as it makes her happy." Papa Chen said, smiling at his daughter as he held her hand.

It was like papa Chen understood what everyone but mama Chen in the table felt. Mama and Papa Yang couldn't respond even if they were angry. Brett was just numb now, knowing that the bit of hope in his head had disappeared. Alex was just quiet, knuckles white on top of his lap and hidden away from the table. Eddy and Belle just felt embarrassed.

Belle droned on about what she wanted for her wedding with Alexander. Alex took mental notes so that they could go over it with more depth later. Eddy was talking to everyone else while Brett was just silent. The words of mama Chen repeating in his mind.

It was more painful than Eddy's direct rejection. It was like mama Chen had immediately told him that he wouldn't be accepted in the family if ever they were together. He couldn't bring himself to speak any word at all.

It shouldn't really affect him much since Eddy isn't really in love with him. Yet, the pain was lingering and persisting. Just pinpricks that stab him over and over again.

Maybe it's why Eddy wanted a traditional wedding with a bride and in a church. It just sucked because Brett knew that two men or two women can't get married. Not in front of a church and not in front of anywhere else, really.

"Brett, listen, we have to think of the perfect piece for their wedding." Eddy started after the awkward silence.

"Well, my brother was a cellist and your sister was a pianist. They surely have a preference, right?" Brett said, laughing a little bit.

"That's true but they already have a bias on Saint-Saens' The Swan." Eddy said, laughing back.

A piece pops to Brett's mind but he was afraid to say it out loud. He can't bring himself to do so. It will just hurt more than he is anticipating.

"What about that other one? The Franck violin sonata but only the first movement?" Eddy suggested and Brett felt everything freeze.

Never different from our past life, aren't you, Eddy Chen? Brett thought, looking at Eddy with a soft smile.

"How will we even play that? We're not proficient enough in piano to play that." Brett said, very concered.

"Well, we have a year to practice it." Eddy said, smiling at Brett.

Brett returned the smile again as he droned out Eddy talking about the piece. Brett just looked at him there, softly smiling at the words the love of his life is muttering right now.

Papa Yang saw everything and felt a bit of pain for his son. He knew exactly what it feels like to falling love with someone who doesn't love him back. Still, he saw the same gentle determination from his older son.

But he doesn't exactly know what it might feel like to fall in love with someone of the same sex. He reckoned that it's the same as falling in love with someone of the opposite sex. The only difference is the possibility of requital is less.

It was painful enough falling in love with someone you can't have. But falling in love with someone when you can't change who you are? That had to be inflicted within you.

Brett surely can't change to become a woman. It's possible, but he identify as a man. Besides, even if he was desperate, he wouldn't stoop that low on order to be loved back. He believes that it's natural, how people will fall in love.

That no matter what you do, no matter how much you bend your back to their needs, you could never truly be loved back unless it's their real feelings. Yes, it might be painful yet Brett felt like the pain has purpose. The pain is set as a reminder.

A reminder to love again. A reminder that loving again doesn't mean loving the same person. A reminder that the pain will end.

"Hey pa?" Mama Yang whispered to her husband, tapping lightly on his shoulder.

"Hmm?" Papa Yang asked back, smiling at his wife.

"I'm sorry for making you wait so long before..." Mama Yang said again, holding his hand with hers and resting her head in his shoulder.

"The wait was worth everything, ma. Don't worry... I'll love you either way, anyway." Papa Yang whispered, squeezing their interlocked hands.

Alexander was happy about his engagement, but he wasn't happy for his brother. Mama Chen just made Brett's family uncomfortable but they didn't speak about it. He will remember to apologize to Brett when they get home.

After a while, they all bid their goodbyes and went home. The Yang family were glad that it was over. They were happy but it was stressful just talking for hours.

"Brett, will you drive us home?" Papa Yang asked, holding mama Yang by her waist.

"Yeah, just hop on in." Brett said, entering the car too.

With that, they're going home.