there is only power and those too weak to seek it (hp: tr)

This work is inspired by a YouTube video posted by oliviaalee, posted January 16, 2021.

-Ω-

"I love you." she gasped into his ear, arms flung around his neck.

Then there was no more, her dead body slumped against his. His wand shone hummed green, mirroring his own excitement of his first step on the path to immortality - the elixir of life that, foolishly, the old man had told him to be impossible.

"Love," he had told him, half-moon glasses flashing in the firelight of his office, "is the answer to all, Tom. A lesson I hope Hogwarts has provided for you in multitudes."

Fool.

All this time, and there had been another way to thwart death - after all, not even death could possibly steal the heir of Salazar Slytherin so quickly, so despondently. And love, as the girl's figure slumped now on the floor proved, was not the answer. The old man had not known, or simply refused to provide, but no matter. He - the most brilliant student to ever grace Hogwarts' halls - had unlocked the key.

"Foolish old man," he sneered as he strode away from the girl's cold body, a leather-bound diary clutched in his hand. "Love is not the answer to all. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."