book 2 - chapter 9

Start from the beginning

"I just think having you there blatantly supporting one side will only make things worse." Mako explains. "You could at least try to seem neutral."

"I'm not neutral!" She dismisses. "The North invaded my home. The only reason I'm here is to get the Republic to send troops to help the South."

"Zhu Li's already scheduled a meeting for us with President Raiko tomorrow." Varrick interrupts. "We'll get him on board!"

"Whatever, I got to go to work." Mako says sheepishly. Then, he turns to face me. "I'll meet you at the police station later, ice girl?"

I nod at him and with that he salutes me goodbye. I look down at my hands and smile, I can't believe I get to see Iroh. Our goodbye was so quick, and the message he received was so cryptic that I didn't think they'd station him in Republic City. My heart pounds with excitement.

"I better go check on my factory." Asami informs us as she begins to make her way.

"I'm going to find out about this peace march." Korra announces, making slight eye contact with me. Her expression seems weird to me, as if she's mad at me too. It wouldn't surprise me, but I don't think she really has any right to be. Especially not after she ignored my warnings.

I decide to dismiss her weird look and walk towards the ports where the United Republic is stationed. "I'm going to go with Iroh."

"And I'm dying for a pedicure!" Varrick suddenly screams.

"So, uh, what should I be doing?" I hear Bolin query.

"I don't know, Bolin." Mako calls at his brother without turning back. "Figure something out."

I turn around, worried that Bolin might be left alone, but I see that Varrick has his arm around him. They begin to walk together and I'm left with the reassurance that he won't by himself. And with that, I make my way towards the boy that I've been missing ever since we parted ways.

As soon as I arrive to where the United Forces are stationed, I'm left breathless. I had seen their ships before, but I hadn't really seen them up close. The last time I saw them, they were being bombarded by the high-speed planes created by Asami's father, and I was pretty much distracted by rescuing Iroh. They're incredible.

I step in the ramp that leads to the main ship, and my heart begins pounding with nervousness. I hope he doesn't get mad about me surprising him, I hope he's glad to see me. But I don't know how he will feel about me dropping in on him while he's working.

It's Iroh, Luna. I tell myself. He'll be happy to see you.

As I step on the boat, I see a bunch of soldiers lounging around. As soon as their gaze lands on me, I gulp. My palms start sweating and I start feeling uncomfortable. I'm usually pretty confident and such, but Iroh makes me so nervous as it is, and I don't know why but the presence of men in general just uneases me.

"Can we help you, ma'am?" One of them asks as he stands up and comes to face me. Ma'am? How old does this dude think I am?

"I'm, uh, looking for Iro – I mean, General Iroh." I say, cringing to myself.

A big smile appears on his face and he turns back to look at his peers. "This must be the girl the General can't shut up about!"

They all laugh, and I don't know how to respond. It's like I'm missing out on some big inside joke or something. I chuckle awkwardly and rub the back of my neck. Can't they just show me where Iroh is?