Lemongrass and Sleep

Start from the beginning

Little did she know that the girl she defended without a second thought would tear her world asunder in mere seconds.

Frankie was barely settled into her seat in class when it happened. She tossed her backpack into the vacant desk beside her since no one claimed it, there weren't enough students to occupy all of the seats. She was barely setting out her materials when Geralyn waltzed into the room with a smile way too anticipating and radiant for someone attending high school, which was practically a laid back prison wrangling up teenagers and locking them up in stuffy classrooms where their demise was pure boredom over a lethal injection.

She was a shock of long cherry red hair falling in stylish waves down the middle of her back in a loose ponytail and fair skin with the faintest tan adding a golden tone into the blend of strawberries and ivory. She was embellished in a strange arrangement of a flowing black dress that cascaded to the middle of her shins, white daisies dotting the delicate fabric resting in ruffles at the hem, and worn black sneakers doodled all over with white soles beginning to yellow from age. A baggy leather jacket swallowed up the top of her body and made her appear smaller than she likely was judging from her height, scraped up at the shoulders exactly where the strap of her back was resting, meaning she must've worn it to school often. When she turned to look over the class curiously, her glossy lips pursed and a tendril of red hair loosely dangled towards her rounded jawline, a choker and a daisy necklace matching her dress curled loosely around her elegant pale neck.

Frankie immediately squirmed when they made eye contact. She wasn't certain why her curiosity seemed to solidify and drop low in her stomach frazzling her nerves, or why blood rushed rapidly into her cheeks when Geralyn smirked slightly at her before she turned away to introduce herself to the teacher setting up their lesson at his computer.

She stammered and quickly dropped her eyes down to her desk. Frankie's wide eyes couldn't shrink to a normal size where her heart stuttered — she never reacted that way before, except for one incident with a friend she drunkenly kissed a year ago, but she always imagined it was because she was so far gone that she'd mistaken her for a boy she'd been flirting with for some time, since her friend tended to present herself less femininely. Frankie suspected for a fleeting second that it must've been because she was caught taking in Geralyn's outfit, and maybe Geralyn took it as Frankie checking her out. She desperately grasped onto that reason and stuck with it to slow her hammering heart. Yes, there was no one in the world who didn't react to being caught staring. Frankie drew in a quiet deep breath and relaxed her shoulders. She was perfectly fine, just anxious, that's all.

"Are you saving this seat for someone?" A voice Frankie wasn't familiar with chimed beside her.

Frankie automatically looked up with her eyebrows raised in question, only for her mind to come to a crashing halt sounding like shattering glass ricocheting through her skull. Geralyn was standing directly beside Frankie in the aisle, one brow raised as her question lingered in the air to be answered. Her eyes were ringed in insanely perfectly applied dark eyeshadow and glitter dotted her cheekbones, catching the light beams steaming in from the window adjacent to her. It was then that Frankie processed the color of her eyes was a deep hazel green that could've easily been mistaken for chocolate brown depending on the lighting, but there was certainly a film of emerald green swimming in them, unique eyes framed by a sweep of long lashes curled at the tips.

Holy fucking shit, Frankie screamed at herself internally, and fought to turn off her constant noticing.

"Uh — no, no, the seat's not taken." Frankie's wobbly voice tripped over her words. "I just keep my backpack there. Sorry."