"Vulnera Sanentur."

If I left, I would always wonder if I could have done more.

"Vulnera Sanentur."

I might hate myself forever.

"Vulnera Sanen-"

"Thorncroft."

I looked up, the last syllable of the spell getting caught on my lips. Snape had called me to attention.

"What?" I snapped. "Don't distract me, he needs to be healed-"

Madam Pomfrey gently grabbed my hand, lowering my wand. "The bleeding has stopped," she said softly.

I exhaled shakily, feeling a wave of relief wash over my body. My hand had grown cramped from clutching my wand so tightly, and I mechanically released my grip, letting my wand clatter to the floor.

I gazed at Draco's still face, frozen in agony. This may be the last time I ever see him, and it's under these horrifying circumstances.

I looked at Madam Pomfrey. "Can I... Can I speak with him?"

"Wait until the stunning charm wears off. He may reopen his wounds." Madam Pomfrey rose, smoothing her apron. "I must prepare more Murtlap essence. Excuse me."

Snape and I sat on either side of Draco in silence. All I could do was stare at him with my fingertips pressed worriedly to my lips. He was going to be alright, thanks to the immediate and thorough medical attention. But the wounds inflicted on him could have been lethal.

"How did this happen?" I asked quietly.

"Potter got his hands on a spell that was beyond his aptitude." Snape replied sourly. He seemed irate by this, and I was also enraged to hear that this was Harry Potter's fault. But anger wouldn't change the fact that it happened. I just hoped that Snape would punish Harry up to his ears for this.

"Thorncroft," Snape addressed me. "We must be going soon."

My breath hitched. I wasn't ready to leave yet. "Just... give me a moment, please. To say goodbye to Madam Pomfrey."

Snape remained by Draco's side while I stepped into Madam Pomfrey's office. She was transferring rations of Murtlap essence from a large jug into smaller vials to be applied to Draco's wounds every half hour, as well as Calming Draught. I silently began helping by corking the full vials for her.

"I would appreciate it if you didn't leave without saying goodbye," she said suddenly, still working fastidiously to pour the Murtlap essence with her wand.

I looked at her guiltily. "You knew?"

She gave me a reassuring smile. "Professor Snape asked for my recommendation two months ago." She moved the vials with her wand one by one into a box labeled D. Malfoy. "Ilvermorny has a fine healing programme, and they will be lucky to have you. When you first came to me, you were just 13. And you didn't look away once when Miss Parkinson was bleeding buckets from that Grindylow bite."

I couldn't help myself from tidying things up in her office; it was a force of habit. "I have you to thank for everything," I said to her as I placed lids back on their respective jars. "You helped me realize what my true calling was." Quietly, I added, "A part of me does want to stay."

Madam Pomfrey sighed. "Oh, hogwash. Professor Snape and I know you have the potential to be an incredible Healer, and there's only so much you can learn cooped up in this castle."

"I just feel like my job here isn't done yet," I said, peeking through the stained glass of the office door to where Draco lay.

Madam Pomfrey stopped rearranging vials for a moment and gripped me gently by the shoulders. "When I was in training to become a Healer, we had a saying. A good healer will fight day and night to save a life. But a spectacular healer can recognize when it's time to stop trying to revive those who are already lost." She paused, frowning slightly. "I always hated that advice. But there is a bit of truth in it. Find the courage to make the hard decisions, dear. That is what will make you the greatest Healer in the world."