Chapter 39

Sitting by a table back inside the Koi Tower, Jin Ling sipped on a cup of porcelain tea.

His curtain of eyelashes quivered before returning to its normal state. After drinking the tea, he set the cup aside onto the table. It clinked softly against the surface, and a shadow had fallen over the table.

"So," Jin Ling spoke, "What did you want to tell me?"

He looked up across the table, where Sizhui sat. The GusuLan cultivator watched Jin Ling without blinking, taking in the latter's beauty wholeheartedly. Sizhui opened his mouth, saying, "I wanted to tell you that... Jin Ling... I missed you." His eyelashes trembled, and he waited for Jin Ling's next words.

Instead, Jin Ling never said anything. He just waited for Sizhui to continue.

"I shouldn't have left you for seclusion." Sizhui pressed on. "I threw all the responsibility on your shoulders. I didn't think about your feelings. Jin Ling... you must've felt lonely and abandoned. It was all my fault. I didn't even tell you where I was going. I didn't give you a chance to rebuttal me or tell me any last words. However, I didn't want you to get hurt anymore. I wanted to protect you."

He seemed to remember something and quickly fished out a box from his pockets. Sizhui flashed a small smile to Jin Ling, encouraging him while stuffing the box into Jin Ling's small hands.

Jin Ling blinked. His phoenix eyes contained a hint of surprise.

He looked at Sizhui for permission, who nodded, "Open it."

Doing as he was told, Jin Ling hesitantly opened the box. When he saw the expensive jewelry inside, he almost dropped the box. Completely baffled, Jin Ling hurriedly closed the box and shoved it back to Sizhui. "This is too much for me. I'm a Sect Leader, I still have my own pride-"

His words died down as he noticed the rock solid gaze of Sizhui. Jin Ling seemed to falter when being faced with such a dire look.

"You're not Sect Leader Jin right now," Sizhui spoke gently. His look was gentle and soft. "You're Jin Ling. This gift is for Jin Ling, not Sect Leader Jin." He returned the box back to Jin Ling's hands, wrapping the other's hands underneath his own.

Flinching, Jin Ling succumbed to unease. He couldn't help but stare at their touching hands, which radiated warmth off to one another.

Jin Ling gulped down his nervousness. His entire body was stiff, but he still opened the box.

Taking out the jade pendant, Jin Ling gently felt the texture. It was as smooth as marble, and felt especially reassuring against his touch. He lowered his head so that Sizhui couldn't see his expression; a helpless but genuine smile that haven't been shown for very long. Pursing his lips again, Jin Ling lifted his head. "Is this... for me?"

Sizhui nodded without a second of hesitance.

JinLing's gaze wavered. He was unsure of what to feel at that moment. Luckily, he wasn't the one to take the initiative. Sizhui stood up from the table, walking to Jin Ling's side. He leaned downwards so that their faces were only inches apart.

Feeling slightly intimidated, Jin Ling leaned backwards. Having to witness someone else's beautiful face closely had damaged his heart.

Seeing his reaction, Sizhui chuckled. "Would you forgive me, Jin Ling?"

The wind blew in the Koi Tower throughout the open window, blowing apart the curtains in a frenzy. Jin Ling's hair blew along with the curtains, sometimes covering his face like a veil over a bride's face. Sizhui laughed, and extended out a hand. He caught Jin Ling's chestnut brown bangs, and planted a kiss on it. Looking up at Jin Ling's face, he waited for a reaction.