Luckily, he hadn't noticed my brief slip.

We continued comparing notes of people we knew in our lives. When we finished eating, it was nearly past ten in the evening. Therefore, we decided to end the night. As we walked back in the office building's direction, Reed offered to give me a ride home.

I wasn't one to refuse a free commute home, so I agreed.

Upon driving closer to Zoey and Julian's penthouse, I remembered with guilt clarity about plans I made this evening with my sister.

Reed parked his car in front of the lobby. The glossy silver Lexus caught the attention of the lobby receptionist and security. But my attention was direct to a familiar silhouette sitting by the waiting area with a take-away bag from our favorite restaurant.

Ashamed, I hastily got out of the car and said a short goodbye to Reed. He stared agape and unresponsive as I closed the door.

At that moment, I couldn't care less what he thought. My sister's wrath had more punch than making a good impression on one of the best dates I had in the year.

I sprinted inside without glancing back to check if Reed left or not, which was another misstep on my part.

"Amy, oh god, I'm so sorry." I swiftly said before she could say a word to reprimand me. "I don't want to lie and say I didn't forget because you know that I did. Why didn't you call?"

She regarded me for a moment. "Were you on a date?" She nodded towards the door just in time for Reed to enter the lobby.

I froze mid-stride and peered back to the door like a deer in headlights. "Mr. Seymour, what are you doing here?"

Reed met my gaze and then turned to where Amy sat. "Ms. Nolan," he addressed her, "I apologize for keeping your sister for most of the evening. I see you two had plans," he said and gestured towards the brown paper bag takeaway food.

Amy's eyes darted from Reed and me with curiosity. Whatever she was thinking, it couldn't be pleasant from the unchanging expression on her stoic face. Knowing my sister, especially what happened four months ago, she wouldn't keenly jump to the idea of me dating again. Given her own experience with jerk ex-lovers, it took her nearly five years to let go.

This could go bad, depending on how I play it out.

However, before I got to say anything, Amy walked up to him with an outstretched hand.

"Mr. Seymour, it's a pleasure to meet you properly. I know we've previously met at the wedding party, but we've merely spoken a few words with each other," she said.

Reed briefly shook it with a charming smile. "True, we've hardly said much indeed. And the pleasure is mine, Ms. Nolan," he replied and chuckled. "But please, call me Reed."

She nodded. "Then call me Amy, as most of those close to my friends do."

"I heard from April you are friends with Steve?" Reed asked conversely like he was there to stay for a lot longer than intended.

Amy's eyes light up. "She did, did she?" She met my stare with a knowing smile.

I interjected in fear of what my sister will ask later. "Yes, well, since Steve was our mutual acquaintance, it's expected we'd talked about him." I then cleared my throat to change the tone of the conversation. "Anyways, Reed, it was a lovely night. As you can see, my sister and I have plans as well. I appreciate the lift, by the way."

"Actually, I came in here to give you this," he said and then handed over my phone. "I presume you'd want this now rather than I hand it over to you tomorrow."