Chapter 17: Words

The world was still asleep when you woke up from a rather peculiar dream. 'What was that...?' You thought, as you slowly recalled the details.

You... stood before you. At least, a girl who looked exactly like you, stood before you.

She stands a distance away from you, staring at the floor of the black room, back facing you. She wore the clothes you wore... on the day of the kidnapping, although she looks your age. Curiosity getting the better of you, you step forward slowly towards her.

As if sensing you nearby, she spins around, staring at you wide-eyed. Her shock slowly fades into a sad smile, and she walks towards you. For some reason, you felt no fear against her, and you just stand there.

Hands outstretched, the girl pulls you into a tight hug. You hugged back. After a few moments, she lets go, and looks you directly in the eye before speaking. "It's time. Let us free our voice from this pain, and be free again."

With that, you watch as she slowly fades away. Panicking, you reach out to hold her. "Wait!" You shout, only for your hand to go through her translucent body as the last bit of her disappears.

Right then, you woke up.

"I..." you spoke, only to catch yourself by surprise. "My... my voice..." tears filled your eyes. "I can speak! I can speak again!" You cheer, a wide smile on your face as you allow your tears to fall.

You fought against the urge to run over to Luka's house in the middle of the night and returned to bed after some food, which helped to calm you down.

When morning finally came around, you felt a rush of andrenaline. Donning on a black-and-white-stripped t-shirt and a brown pair of shorts, you take down the stairs, three in a jump, as you head down to make breakfast.

Going for something short and simple, you grab an apple from the refrigerator, rinse it, and ate away as you pick up your bag, allowing Muna to settle down within before heading for the door. Apple in one hand, you slip on your shoes and head over to your neighbour.

Liberty, which you found out was the name of the boat, stood by the seaside, looking tall and majestic. Putting your fingers to your mouth, you let out a whistle loud enough for Luka to hear. While coming over to your house was a ring and four knocks, going over to his was a whistle.

You give him a moment before you catch sight of the platform coming down. When it was set in place, Luka appears at the top of it, taking down the platform swiftly. "You look great in that, lovely," he starts. Smiling, you hug him tight before whispering in his ear. "Thank you for the compliment."

In shock, Luka lets go and holds you at arm's length, glancing over you. "Did you just..." he starts. "Talk?" You finish his sentence with a mischievous smile.

"No, this is all your imagination. This is all a dream, Love," you joke, pinching him. "Ouch! This is definitely not a dream... how?" He responds.

"I don't know, I just had this weird dream..." as the both of you walk to school hand in hand, you describe every little detail of the dream; the girl, her words, her looks.

"So... you just, wake up, and you can talk?" He asks. "That seems like it, unless I'm dreaming," you answer. Feeling a pinch on your cheek, you yelp and glare at Luka. "Hey hey, I'm just returning the favour! Now you know you're definitely not asleep!"

After a moment, he continues. "But what did she mean by that... poem?" You shrug. "Maybe I won't be able to talk to everyone just yet? It'll take a while more?" You think out loud.

"Maybe," Luka finishes the conversation just as the both of you reach school. Marinette runs up to you with Alya in the distance, it was clear she was trying to avoid whatever idea that girl had.

"Can we just pretend we're discussing about how much of a bad idea it is to write a l-love letter to Adrien?" She whispers to the both of you, Luka instantly jumping into the act.

"What if Mr. Agreste decides to read the letter before giving it to Adrien?" He says loudly, so Alya, who was approaching, could hear.

You open your mouth to agree, only to find no words came along. You glanced at Luka, shocked, before turning back to Mari and putting up an act, nodding your head profusely.

You point to Mari, before drawing circles by the side of your head. You would seem crazy. "Exactly! See Alya? It's a terrible idea!" Marinette did not seem to catch your look of panic, and continues the act.

Alya did not seem to believe this for a second, but she shrugs it off, giving up. As she walks away, arm hooked around Mari's shoulders, you turn to Luka. "I tried to-" you started, but stopped yourself as soon as you heard your own words again.

"Well, that explains it. I think it's conditional, so for now, I'm possibly the only one you could talk to right now," just as he concludes it, the bell rings, signalling the start of class.

Before you could bid him goodbye, Luka leans down and leaves a peck on your cheek before turning around and walking off in the opposite direction, his hand raised, waving to you.

Caught by surprise, you froze on the spot as shock holds you down onto the ground, your cheeks burning up. "Get to class or you'll be late!" A teacher shouts in the distance, pulling you back. 'Of course, class!' Your feet working into action, you run to Chemistry class and manage to settle down right before Ms. Mendeleiev came into sight.

Class zoom by fast, and you enjoy the rest of the day in peace.

Little did you know, the peace was not going to last long.