Chapter Four; Training

"Haha! I think I- ach!" The arrogant blond boy whom Eren believed names was Jean, had begun to say, balancing between the two metal posts on a set of bungee cords.

Then he tipped over and smacked face-first into the dirt.

This exercise was essential in their training. If they couldn't balance on bungee cords in their harnesses, then they had no chance with the real Manuver Gears. Eren was nervous, but not worried. He had been explained the basics of Manuver Gear and how it operated before he even was four. By the time he was six, he had done this same exercise between two trees for fun. When he was nine, he practiced with Levi's real Manuver Gear-though he never told his father that-at night, when nobody was around. Eld had caught him, once, when Eren was practicing in the forest one night. Eld had slipped out for a cigarette, but when he saw Eren, instead of scolding him and taking him to Levi, Eld had given him balancing tips.

So Eren was nervous, yes, but not worried.

When a hand tapped him on the shoulder and he nearly squeaked in alarm. Oh damn, Levi had found him and was going to drag him back home. Eren would be grounded for the rest of his life. Which may not be that much longer, if Levi was really angry. Slowly, Eren turned around, getting his will made up in his head.

But it we sent Levi. It was Mikasa. And Armin.

Mikasa looked angry. She had cut her hair shoulder-length and had her hands on her hips. Armin looked at Eren in shock.

"You didn't think you'd join the army without us, did you?" Mikasa asked, a tiny beginning of a smile on her face.

"Of course I didn't." Eren said, not meeting her eyes.

Mikasa pinched his ear. Hard.

"Ow!" Eren complained.

"Your ears are red. You're lying." She scolded.

"Who are you, Petra?" Eren muttered, rubbing his ears, thinking about how Petra told him the exact same thing.

Meanwhile, Armin seemed to figure out how to speak again.

"Y-your hair!" He said, eyes wide.

*********

"Damn. Look at him."

"Show off."

"How's he doing that?"

"He's amazing!"

"A natural."

"Probably figured out a way to cheat."

Different mutters rang out as Eren sat, perfectly at ease, in the make-shift bungee substitute.

After him came Mikasa, then Armin, and Sasha. Then the sun went down, and they got dinner.

Dinner consisted of watery soup and bread. The dining room where they ate was warm, and noisy, and crowded. It reminded Eren painfully of dinners back home. If he closed his eyes, Eren could see what it would be like if he were home.  Petra, Oluo, Eld, Hanji, and Erwin, sitting around him, talking, laughing. Levi would be expressionless, as always, but sometimes he'd catch Eren's eye and smile. Then after dinner he'd wish Eren goodnight and they'd part ways at their bedroom doors. Eren would change his clothes, and he could hear the water running, and he knew his father was taking a shower. Levi couldn't stand dirt. And Eren would watch the stars and moon and the velvety black sky until he fell asleep, or maybe he'd read for a bit by the light of a candle. For some reason, if Eren fell asleep with the candle still burning, he'd wake up and it would be put out.

Eren left dinner early, somber and silent, and sat on the barracks roof for awhile. He sat at the edge of the roof, starlight and moonlight illuminating him and turning his hair and eyes a silvery white. Eren drew his knees to his chest, wrapped his arms around his legs, and rested his chin on his knees so he was looking directly at the waning moon and the stars.

His eyes were far away, though, and he wondered if his father was looking at the same sky as he was.

"Night, Dad." Eren whispered, wishing that he was back at home in that moment.

*********

Eren didn't know this, but at that same time, Levi was back at the Survey Corps Headquarters, and he was indeed looking up at the same sky. In fact, he was standing on the roof of the Headquarters, gazing at the stars, wondering where his son was, and praying he was safe.

Finally, Levi sighed and dropped his gaze, closing his eyes for a minute.

"Goodnight, Eren." Levi said softly.