35: Recognition

The world of Libertas appears around me, and by the looks of everything, it seems that everything is back to normal. Chunks of distant landscape that were once disappearing into non-existence are now perfectly visible. The wind computations are functioning normally, blowing waves across the grass and displacing a strand of my hair. But one thing does seem strange to me: it's daylight now. Last I remembered, it was just hitting dusk.

I check the in-game clock and the real-time clock. At first, I think eight hours have passed, then realize that the date has changed. It's been four whole days. My mind is spinning over all the lost time. In fact, I can't seem to remember anything after I initiated the log out procedure. April had said that logging out too soon could have effects on my mind, but I didn't think I'd forget what I was doing. The more I think and try to remember, the more my head seems to throb with a minor headache.

Shrugging, I tap through my HUD until I reach the messages screen.

Aiden Rockwell: Hey, is memory loss to be expected? I mean, I suspect that the Shield is safe and things are back to normal, considering how Libertas is running, but I don't remember anything.

April Conway: Aiden! Glad to see you've returned to us. Yes, everything is fine. Your consciousness took a beating, but not in the way you might think. While you were sleeping, we made a short wake-up video for you that will break the news to you in order. Watch it. You're a hero!

I gulp, uncertainty gripping me as April's link appears in her next message. I don't know what happened, but I wouldn't consider myself a hero. I tap the link with my finger and a small video screen appears to hover before me. Pressing play, the video reveals the inside of a small, dark room with metal walls. Captain Royal is staring right at me, his bottom lip busted up and an eye swollen shut. Behind him is a doorway surrounded by blinking lights, switches, and knobs. I must be looking at the inside of the Shield's cockpit. A wave of disconcertment washes over me when I notice a giant metal man with black lenses for eyes is standing just off to the side of Royal. The looks of the robot is menacing, giving me the creeps. It's like I'm looking at a tissue-removed T-800 cybernetic living organism. Just then, Royal smiles and begins to talk, pulling my attention to him.

"Aiden Rockwell, I'm glad you're alive to watch this and hope that I may somehow show you my thanks. This is a pre-recorded video, edited with a clip from another ship in the refugee fleet who also want to give you thanks. If you hadn't guessed already, things are back to normal. Mostly, that is. The mutineers have been placed in solitary isolation in their stasis habitats with all of their options and features removed until we decide what needs to be done with them. But that's not what this message is about.

"You know, it was a great misfortune that I didn't believe you when you said that there was a mutiny stirring aboard. But, it is with the utmost certainty that I now proclaim that it is through your bravery and determination alone that the Shield, the Dream, and quite possibly the last remnants of humanity, still stand strong. This ship will always be in your debt, Aiden. Thank you. And about that voting thing you suggested... Maybe we gave up on Earth too soon. Myself and the other captains are going to talk about letting the people have a voice in the matter, even if it's just to begin hypothesizing a plan. We'll see what happens. Talk to you soon, Aiden, and thanks again. "

The Captain nods, and the video cuts to an Asian woman with high cheekbones and a regal look about her. A moment passes and I recognize her as the captain of the Dream, Mizuki Yuni. She bows respectfully and says, "Aiden, it is my understanding that the mutineers you stopped were attempting to reach the Dream, that a member of our ship was involved with one of them. If they were to attain their goal and reach us, your ship would have passed Earth dangerously close. If the Culicidae spotted the Shield, it's highly possible that would have spelled the end for all of us. So, it appears to me that the Dream owes you a great deal.