Twenty Nine: Return

Start from the beginning

"I knew that. But I didn't know you had it."

"Well, I'm not... Oh whatever, you'd figure it out eventually. When I first arrived in the Crashverse, I had no idea who I was, what I was, or why I was here. All I remember is waking up to nothing but white, and Thread attacked me not long after. That's as far back as my memory goes, although I know for a fact there was more of it."

"That's rough."

"No, not really. Sometimes, I feel it's better that I don't remember. If it was bad enough that my brain erased the memories, I'm not interested in learning what they were. After all, I'm not one to dwell on the past." Patch chuckled. "Ironic."

A moment of silence as I continue healing Pen. Then I feel chills as my attention is brought to an aura in an AU that shouldn't be there. Patch notices my reaction and asks, "Where?"

"Comettale, I think," I say, mind immediately going to Dream. Is he okay? Will he be okay? 

"Night, you want to handle this? You seem kind of bored from staying in the Dome, and I can handle Pen," Seed says, walking over. I almost refuse, then remember Seed knows about Dream and is giving me a reason to check on him.

"Sure. Action sounds nice."

"Alright then, good luck. Be careful." Patch nods and grabs me, teleporting me to Comettale. I quickly head towards where Three's aura is, keeping an eye out for Dream, or whatever he calls himself now. Copper, right? As Three's aura draws closer, I feel... another one by Three. Not Blackout's, but an aura of faint frustration that almost reminds me of Seed when he's in his flower form. I focus on Three's aura and teleport. I land in another section of Comettale and see Three standing nearby, oddly relaxed. He's facing away from me and he seems focused on something else, but as I approach, he turns around and looks at me. His grey eyelights have slight streaks of lime, and it gives off an eerie feeling.

"Hello, Night. Nice of you to drop by. I see you're not dead... That's disappointing."

I summon an arrow. "I'm not here to talk. I'm here to get you to leave."

Three sighs. "Of course you are. Just give me a minute, Blackout's struggling with this monster."

"What do you mean?"

"I thought you weren't here to talk." Three gives me a sly look, which I return with the best glare I can muster. "You see, when we arrived, this particular monster decided to try and stop us. He's a strong fighter, I'll give him that, but he made the mistake of messing with us."

Three takes a step to the side and I see who it is. A skeleton suspended a foot in the air, teal strings wrapped around his arms, legs, and neck, contrasting with his loose yellow jacket. My nonexistent heart skips a beat and my mind seems to stop.

"Oh, that's right, you know this skeleton don't you?"

Blackout was trying to kill Dream.

I react before I think and send an arrow at Three. He dodges and teleports behind me, sending a glitched Gaster Blaster at me. I slip out of the way, only to get my Soul caught in lime strings. I struggle, but I can't get out.

"Blackout, release Copper."

The strings disappear and Dream falls to the ground. Blackout materializes next to him and Dream promptly tries to stab him. Three flicks a hand and traps Dream in a cage of bones, causing Dream to give him a look I was unaware he could do and would not like to be on the receiving end of. Blackout then turns to look at me.

"Well, well, well, I've been brought much better prey." He grins. "Ready to give up your Soul yet?" I struggle, still unable to escape. My eyes flick over to Dream, trapped in the cage of bones. Blackout notices and gives me a condescending look.

"What? Worried about him? You shouldn't be. I'll make sure his death is nice and quick."

"Don't you dare," I say, feeling anger rise. Why is it this guy is able to get on my nerves so much? "I won't let you."

"And how are you going to stop me? You're trapped. You can't move. You can't stop me."

He's right and we all know that. I can't escape these strings, unless I manage to attack Three, which as of right now is impossible. I don't think I have an attack strong enough to free myself and Dream.

Wait. I have one. It's dangerous, but if it gets Dream and I out of here alright, maybe it's worth it. Plus, Patch has a codeblock set up, so I should be fine.

I focus on my anger, trying to shape it like I would my normal powers. All I need is something to distract Blackout and Three, even if for just a few seconds. 

"Giving up already?" Blackout teases. "Good, you learn fast."

"Giving up? No, I'm just getting started!" I push all the anger together and it explodes out. Blackout is knocked to the ground and Three is pushed back, both momentarily stunned. The strings around my Soul disappear, and I send a few arrows to cut the bones surrounding Dream.

"Run!" I yell. He doesn't hesitate to as I turn around to face Blackout and Three.

"You little..." Blackout almost leaps at me, but Three stops him. He gives me one last, sly look, and then the two teleport away.

I stand there for a moment, trying to control my breathing. I still feel mad. Why is it that Blackout makes me lose control like that? First in Dreamcrash, now here... at least I didn't fully lose it this time. I head back to the Art Dome. Patch is doing something on the big paper, Seed sitting nearby, Pen laying beside him. The moment I return, Seed heads over to me.

"How'd it go?"

"Good."

Seed lowers his voice a bit. "How is he?"

"He's fine."

"Great. Patch is busy, don't mess with him. Pen's resting. You can have a break too, if you want."

I nod and go find somewhere to rest. The battle I just fought was hard, but I won. 

Only with a bit of help. A voice in my mind whispers. I quickly tune it out and close my eyes, trying to sleep, but the darkness and fear in my head keeps me conscious the whole time.