CHAPTER EIGHTY ONE: Sasageyo

Start from the beginning

Eren's eyes were wild. Furious. Pained. I was sure mine were, too.
"You can't...You told me you'd use it on Armin..." He spoke through his teeth, and my lip curled back, twitching as I resisted the urge to cry.
"Back up, Jaeger..." It wasn't an order. It was a threat, through and through. If he was against Erwin's survival, then he was against me.

"I'm going to revive the person who can save humanity." Levi spoke in such a calm manner, but I could feel his arm against my back, quivering slightly. Upon hearing the scraping sound of steel, I too drew my blades, stepping around to find Mikasa ready to fight. I didn't stand a chance against her, but I'd do what I could. I had to. I wasn't losing anyone else. I had decided.

"Mikasa...Eren...give it up..." I was so hoarse, sounding as though I had gargled loose gravel. Neither of them made any move to cooperate.
"You two...Do you have any idea what you're doing..? It's Erwin. The commander of the scouts, and you're telling me to watch him die? There's no time for this. Just get out of my way."

He's right. We don't have time. I can finally change something. Save someone. I'm not giving up on him!

When Levi tried to move, Eren grabbed hold of the syringe case, and I panicked, slotting my blade in the space between them, grazing againt the skin of the boy's throat.
"L..let go..." I snarled, knuckles white and burning. "Give up on him, Eren..!"

His expression alone told me that was never going to happen. He'd sooner allow me to slice him open.
"Sorry, I can't do that. Tell me, Captain...why didn't you give Armin the injection right away..?" Why did he have to drag it on? I knew what Armin meant to him, but he was going to die.

"I was thinking about Erwin. Considering the slim chance that he might be alive." Levi replied, and I could see his dark, piercing stare in the reflective surface of my blade. I tuned out what they were saying, glancing over at the Commander. He was so pale. He looked like a corpse already, but he had to live. I would do everything in my power.

When I felt Eren began to pull harder at the syringe, I snapped. Lifting my leg, I used every ounce of strength I had to kick him in the stomach, uncaring of my own pain as he flew backwards. At the same time, Levi had thrown a punch to his face, and I barely had time to turn when Mikasa shrieked.

Everything was such a blur. She launched herself at the captain, pinning him to the rooftop with her blade close to his throat, and I screamed out. Racing up behind her, my blades dropped to drag behind me. I grabbed a fistful of her hair with one hand, yanking her back, and used the other to grab the blade, trying to keep it away from Levi.

It stung, and blood began to ooze from my palm, but I had to. The longer it took, the greater the risk there was of losing Erwin.
"You know as well as I do...without Erwin's leadership...humanity can't defeat the titans..!" Levi spoke to her, sounding much more urgent now. I was sure we were thinking the same thing.

"He's right, Mikasa! Don't be crazy!" Floch called out, still crouching on the sidelines by the commander. "There's too much at stake here!" I pulled against Mikasa's hair harder, feeling strands begin to pop from her scalp, but she wasn't relenting. I had to move my hand from her blade to her wrist, soaking her skin and sleeve with my own fresh blood.

"No...It's the same with Armin..." Eren announced, slowly dragging himself up from the edge of the roof. "He's just as important..." No. He wasn't. I refused to even consider it. "Think about what he's done...Taking back Trost with that boulder...He's the one who realised what Annie was..! It was him who said we could avoid the titans by coming here at night! He's the only reason we uncovered Reiner's hiding spot, and the only reason we defeated Bertholdt..!"