Twist of Fate - Chapter Twenty Six

⚠️Slight NSFW Warning⚠️

Home.

Finally. Was the only thought that ran through his head. Perhaps it was that his social battery had run out long ago. - Yes, he decided, that was the issue. He simply refused to admit that it was because he so desperately wanted to know Edith's thoughts.
Both were surprised, to find that when they returned, they somehow weren't surrounded by S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, guns at the ready. After all, they had gone off planet. Edith questioned if Fury actually trusted her, or if he even had the place under surveillance in the first place. It was then that it donned on Edith, that they hadn't been gone very long. - She had seemingly forgotten that time passed differently elsewhere. Whereas it had been hours for them, here, they had perhaps only been gone an hour. Nightfall was just beginning to settle.

It was when the pair entered the house, that things made a bit more sense.
"June,"
Edith flicked on the lights. In the corner of the room, sat Director Nick Fury. Even with a gun being pointed at her, she remained calm.
"You want to tell me just why in the hell you thought it was a good idea to bring a dangerous, homicidal god off world? Better yet, why he's out of his cell in the first place?"
Bizarrely, this just...annoyed Edith. "Does it look like he's escaped, Fury?" She swiftly retorted. "You and your people seem to think I'm powerful enough to hold him, so why can't you let me do what I think is best?"
Fury was taken aback by this sudden outburst. His grip tightened on his gun. Edith noticed, and gave an irritated huff.
"Evidently, you failed to notice the note I left on the door. I had to attend a ball my family was hosting."
Fury seemed irritated, "And you couldn't have just said 'no'?"
"No, I couldn't have. Maybe your people can easily abandon tradition, but mine can't. - The reason I brought him along was because if I had left him alone, he definitely would have escaped." Edith was growing angrier by the minute. "Not to mention, I did not sign up for this shit in the first place. If you didn't trust me to perform the task, why the fuck did you make me do it?"
To both Edith and Loki's surprise, Nick lowered the gun. He was still quite obviously vexed, yes, but at least the gun was lowered. Perhaps, Edith wondered, he really did trust her. "You're lucky your teammates put in good word for you, June," His gaze shot to Loki, of whom stood with a blank expression. In his mind, however, panic ensued. He wondered if Steve had repeated their conversation to Fury.
The necromancer sighed, "I'm sorry I disobeyed whatever orders you gave me, alright? I'm not letting him go without a good reason, you have my word, no matter how useless you find it, on that."
Strangely enough, Fury believed her, it seemed. "I'd still like to know why he's out of his cell," He commented, returning his gun to it's holster.
"Where's he going to go? If he tries to leave, he can't get off world. He'd just be caught and sent back to Asgard, which in case it isn't obvious, he doesn't like his brother so that's a no go." Edith crossed her arms.
Loki looked offended by this, his eyebrows furrowed. However, he was actually surprised she had somehow read him that well.
Fury gave an annoyed huff. "You're real lucky, June," He said, his tone lacky all emotion.
Edith wondered what exactly caused this reaction. He must have known something she didn't. He was just...letting this go? He most certainly wasn't that type of man, she knew.
"How am I lucky?" She finally found her voice, after staring blankly for a moment. She watched as Nick rose from his seat, footfalls heavy as he made his way to the door.
"You somehow swayed three of my best agents," Was all Fury said, as he exited the building, leaving both Loki and Edith baffled by his strange calm.

"You're not hungry, are you?" Of course, Edith was the one to break the silence.
"No, I'm quite alright," Loki responded, swiftly. He found himself internally swearing, over the way he was acting. There was desperation within him, clawing it's way up his throat. The curiosity was scorching him. When did she plan to talk about what had happened between them? Did she even wish to address it, or was she just to pretend like it never took place? So many questions buzzed about his head like bees.
"Edith," He hadn't intended for it to sound that way....To fall from his lips like a prayer. But it had.
Edith didn't answer. - At least, not yet. Instead, she let her hair down, huffing softly. It had been a long night. Especially long, considering it's events.
"I know," She finally said. "I just want to get out of this," She gestured to her attire. "First." Was she using this as an excuse to delay the conversation? Yes, most likely. To say she was beyond petrified of it, was an understatement.
So, she obviously took more time changing her clothing, than she should have. The gown was already somewhat difficult to remove, anyhow, if you didn't want to damage it.