26

The next weekend I scramble out of bed when my alarm goes off. I throw on some leggings and an oversized sweater before sliding into my slippers. My phone dings with a text, I unlock the device to check the message.

Mom
We're five minutes away :)

Callie
Okie

I leave my bedroom to grab a quick breakfast. "What's the rush babe?" I look over at Jill, "parents will be here in five, figured I should eat before they take me out for the day" she nods and my toast pops, I grab the slice and smother it with butter, placing it on a plate and sit at the counter to eat.

The doorbell rings when I finish washing the dishes. I wipe my wet hands on a dish towel before walking over, swinging the door open. I grin at my parents before moving forward to hug them, "I've missed you guys so much" I say happily, my dad chuckles and my mom kisses my cheek, "missed you too darling" I let go after a few seconds. "Let me go grab my bag and I'll meet you at the car" they nod and I turn around swiftly taking my purse from the nearby table before walking out of the house, locking the door on my way out.

The three of us are walking in a park later, I'm smiling as I enjoy the cooler summer day. "When are we going to talk about that boyfriend of yours?" I snap my gaze to my mom, "how did you..." she smiles at me sheepishly, "Leia" I finish knowing that she's the one who told her. "You can't blame a mother for worrying since you haven't called in a very long time" I sigh looking down at my sneaker clad feet, "okay fine, but don't do that really excited teenage girl squeal" I add while looking at her pointedly, "okay okay" I nod and tell her all about Daniel, from the day we met to right now.

"Oh honey I'm so happy for you" she tells me at the conclusion of my story, I smile and she places a hand on my arm squeezing gently, "he sounds like a good man Cal" my dad interjects, I look up at him in surprise, "don't look so shocked" I shrug remembering how tough he was on Teddy when he and Leia first started dating. "Though I'm not too sure about his job" I bite my lip looking down at my feet again as we keep walking, "I know it's dangerous and he's not in one place for very long, but I care about him and I think it's worth it, so far we've handled it pretty well" I explain to my dad, he brings his arm across my shoulders pulling me into him, "I trust your judgement Callie, so I know that you'll be alright" I nod and look up ahead as we approach a street light.

——

Several hours later I'm sitting in my living room, my mom making some tea for us, my dad having gone out for a bit letting us have some time together. I'm sitting on the couch waiting, fingers playing with my phone as I bite my lip. "What are you thinking about Cal?" I look up as my mom hands me a mug before sitting next to me, I shrug while looking down at my tea not knowing how to begin to voice the thoughts swirling in my head. "Is it about Daniel?" I look up surprised, "a mom always knows" she says in response to my silent question.

I smile slightly thinking about the Australian that is on the other side of the world, "mom, he's everything that I've ever wanted in a partner, he's my best friend, my biggest cheerleader, he makes me laugh until I cry and he's such a good person, you should see him with his fans he's so grateful for them and doesn't leave them behind" she smiles at me placing a hand on mine, "sweetheart, I have an important question for you" I nod, "do you love him?".

My breath catches in my throat at her question, my mind flashes back to all my memories with Dan. The first time we met, our first kiss in Montreal, the many texts, phone calls, and virtual dates we've had these past five months of being together and away from each other. "Oh sweetie I didn't mean to make you cry" I blink at her confused and she brings a hand up swiping something from my cheek, I laugh, "they're happy tears" I exclaim bringing my own hand up feeling my wet cheek before gently drying it with my fingers. I sniffle putting down my mug of tea on the coffee table, "this is what Jill was talking about" I say remembering last week and the look she gave me when I finished talking to Dan on the phone, my mom shrugs and sips her own tea.

I jump off of the couch jogging to my friend's room, I open the door grinning, "I love Daniel!" I exclaim with a laugh, "took you long enough babe" Jill tells me with a smile, I go to her wrapping my arms around her in a hug, "for the record I'm pretty sure he loves you too" she tells me as I let go, "god I hope so" she laughs and I leave her room to go to Lexi to tell her the same thing, "took five months and I think we all knew it after month one" she says I giggle and kiss her cheek, "okay gotta go back to mom" she pushes me out of her room and I walk back to the living room. "I love him mom" I say while flopping back onto the couch, "I know darling, I could see it when you talked about him at the park" I sigh leaning back into the cushion a huge grin on my face, "are you going to tell him?" she adds after a few seconds. My eyes widen and I sit up, "I need to tell him" I exclaim grabbing my phone, before I can type anything I stop. The thought of telling Dan over the phone doesn't sit right with me, I bite my lip a plan coming to my mind, "oh no I know that look" I look at my mom, "what look?" I ask confused, "the one that tells me you're planning something" I smile sheepishly, "would you be okay with me cutting this visit short? I have something that I need to do" she smiles, "are you going to him?" I blush and nod, "is that crazy of me?" She shakes her head, "not at all, but remember that you have a job here" I smile and hug my mom tightly, "thank you for everything, I'll tell you how it goes" she kisses my head and I leave the room bringing up Nico's number on my phone to make sure this plan goes smoothly.