13

Daniel
I miss you

My eyes can't stop looking at Daniel's text when I get back to the house after work. I've chewed my lip thoroughly while sitting on the couch in my sweats. "Callie" I look up at my friends who are watching me concerned, "he told me he misses me" I tell them, they smile and sit on either side of me, "is that bad?" I shrug. Lexi grabs my phone her eyes moving through our texts, "he was worried about you" Jill awes and I blush, "babe you haven't replied to him?" I shake my head, "why not?" I look down at my lap, "I'm scared" Jill pulls me to her side, "scared of what?" I shrug, "that he's going to break my heart" I tell them. They bring me into a hug, "he might Cal, but isn't that what facing your fear is all about, taking a risk even if it could leave you broken at the end?" I feel a tear roll down my cheek, "what if I'm broken beyond repair?" Jill runs her fingers through my hair soothingly, "don't you think that man is worth the risk though?" I wipe the tear off my face, "I don't know yet" I say with a sniffle.

——

Lexi's POV

When I see that Callie is asleep between us I look over at Jill. "We need to get Daniel over here" she nods, "she won't take the plunge unless he shows some kind of commitment" I run my hand over my face. "We do know that this won't be happening soon right? They're racing on the other side of the world" I sigh but nod at her, "Do they race in Canada?" Jill looks down at her phone doing some research, "they come to Montreal in June" she tells me with a smile, I grin and pick up my own phone ready to get this in action.

"Do you honestly think this will do it?" I shrug, "I really want it to, but who knows with this girl" she sighs but let's me continue typing away on the phone screen. "Lets hope my magic will make it happen" I mumble as I finish typing before sending the message to Daniel, "who did you just text?" Jill asks, "you know who" I whisper looking over at her with a wink, she laughs quietly behind her hand not wanting to wake Callie. "She deserves this right?" I nod and brush our sleeping friend's hair out of her eyes, "yes, she's worked so hard alone, I think it's time someone took care of her" she nods in agreement and we fall into a silence before I gently stand to set more pieces of our surprise into action.

——

Callie's POV

I jump awake when there's a clatter, I look around wildly, "oops sorry Cal" I look over my shoulder seeing Jill holding a pan with a sheepish grin on her face. I laugh running my fingers through my messy hair, "how long was I out?" She shrugs, "maybe like two hours" I groan, "this is gonna wreck my sleep schedule for sure" she giggles and I stand up stretching my arms above my head. "Whatcha making?" I ask when I step into the kitchen, "pizza" I nod and try to steal some of the grated cheese, Jill hits my hand, "don't even test me Cal" I pout but know that I shouldn't challenge her on the matter. "Well sleeping beauty woke up" I turn to Lexi with a smile, "yeah, but she isn't much of a beauty after it" she shoves me, "shut up, you're gorgeous" I shrug and move my glasses up my nose.

The three of us stay in the kitchen talking, me and Lexi lending a hand whenever it's needed. When we finish placing the toppings on the pizza and we put it in the oven I grab a pepperoni slice and throw it at Jill, she gasps when it hits her cheek. I laugh so I miss seeing her grab some tomato sauce, when I feel something wet on my face I gasp bringing up my hand feeling sauce, "can't handle the heat Cal?" I narrow my eyes at my friend, "it's on" I see Lexi try to escape out of the corner of my eye, "no way you're leaving this" she stops backing away and Jill throws some cheese at her. Before we know it pizza ingredients are flying across the kitchen, our laughter ringing around the room as we slip and slide to dodge attacks. "Okay okay I surrender" I say out of breath holding out my hands, I bend over to catch my breath as Lexi and Jill do the same, "what have we done, we have so much to clean now" I smile and slowly slide down to the floor leaning against the lower cabinets, they do the same, "I think the fun was worth it" they nod and Lexi reaches up to grab her phone off the counter, "smile!" She says and holds her phone in front of us for a group selfie. "Perfect, this one's a keeper" I peer over and see the finished photo, "I love it, send it my way?" She nods and shares it to us almost instantly. "Okay let's get cleaning and then we can wash this all off" I nod and we hoist ourselves off the floor to begin wiping the counters.