Isa didn't see anything like what she was describing, but she nodded. "Okay. Forward."

"You believe her?" Annabeth asked not only Isa but also Percy.

"Yeah," Percy said. "Don't you?"

Annabeth looked like she wanted to argue, but she waved at Rachel to lead on. Together they kept walking down the brick corridor. It twisted and turned, but there were no more side tunnels. They seemed to be angling down, heading deeper underground.

"No traps?" Percy asked anxiously.

"Nothing." Rachel knitted her eyebrows. "Should it be this easy?"

"I don't know," Isa said. "It never was before."

"So, Rachel," Annabeth said, "where are you from, exactly?"

She said it like, What planet are you from? But Rachel didn't look offended.

"Brooklyn," she said.

"Aren't your parents going to be worried if you're out late?"

Rachel exhaled. "Not likely. I could be gone a week and they'd never notice."

"Why not?" This time Annabeth didn't sound as sarcastic. Having trouble with parents was something she understood.

Before Rachel could answer, there was a creaking noise in front of them, like huge doors opening.

"What was that?" Annabeth asked.

"I don't know," Rachel said. "Metal hinges."

"Oh, that's very helpful. I mean, what is it?"

Then Isa heard heavy footsteps shaking the corridor⎼coming towards them.

"Run?" Percy asked.

"Run," Rachel agreed.

They turned and fled the way they'd come, but they hadn't made it six meters before they ran straight into some old friends. Two dracaenae⎼snake women in Greek armor⎼leveled their javelins at their chests. Standing between them was Kelli, the empousa cheerleader.

"Well, well," Kelli said.

Isa pulled off Waves, Percy uncapped Riptide, and Annabeth pulled her knife, but before Isa's sword was even out of ring form, Kelli pounced on Rachel. Her hand turned into a claw and she spun Rachel around, holding her tight, with her talons at Rachel's neck.

"Taking your little mortal pet for a walk?" Kelli asked Percy. "They're such fragile things. So easy to break!"

Behind them, the footsteps came closer. A huge form appeared out of the gloom⎼a three-meter-tall Laistrygonian giant with red eyes and fangs.

The giant licked his lips when he saw us. "Can I eat them?"

"No," Kelli said. "Your master will want these. They will provide a great deal of entertainment."

She smiled at Percy and her eyes traveled to Isa and lit up in recognition. "Now march, half-bloods. Or you all die here, starting with the mortal girl."

It was pretty much Isa's worst nightmare. And believe her she's had plenty of nightmares. They were marched down the tunnel flanked by the dracaenae, with Kelli and the giant at the back, just in case they tried to run for it. Nobody seemed to worry about them running forward. That was the direction they wanted them to go.

Up ahead Isa could see bronze doors. They were about three and a half meters tall, emblazoned with a pair of crossed swords. From behind the doors came a muffled roar, like a crowd.