13. her goodbyes

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
HER GOODBYES

WINNIE WRAPPED HER firm arms around Cora tightly and continued speaking, "My parents agreed, they said it would broaden my education, and they want to meet you once before funding your trip as well.." The two were at the lake, discussing their move to Paris.

"Win that's incredible! I absolutely cannot wait." Cora sighed, wishing that she had the guts to tell Bash, Mary, Gilbert and Anne. They were her family, she couldn't just leave them without a goodbye. And she knew that she was not coming back.. she was leaving everyone. And she felt terrible about it.

"So dinner at my house on Saturday? My parents cannot wait, I do talk about you a lot." Winnie squeezed Cora's hand and she nodded happily. "It would be my absolute honour, Miss. Rose." The two girls chuckled at her remark.

"When are you going to tell Gilbert, Mary, Bash and the rest?" Winnie asked, smiling sympathetically.

"I..I don't know Win. They're my family. I feel terrible for leaving but.. I cant live here anymore and pretend that I don't love you. It hurts me physically that in front of everyone, we have to act like we aren't lovers. I want to show the world that you're mine, I want to kiss you on top of the eiffel tower." Cora ranted as she breathed heavily.

Winnie cupped her face and stroked her cheek, calming Cora down instantly, "If you don't tell them now, I don't think you ever will. You owe it to them to say a proper goodbye; especially Gilbert, he's blood." Cora shook her head in compliance, "I think I'm ready. I'm going to tell them right now. Thank you Win, I'll see you right after." She pecked her lips softly and hurried back to her home.

Cora arrived at the Blythe house about twenty minutes later, extremely nervous about what was to come. Gilbert was sipping on some afternoon tea, and Mary and Bash were laughing at Delphine's cooing.

"Cora! You're back. How was your date with Winnie?" Mary smiled at her warmly, she truly was her mother figure.

"About that.. I-I er need to tell you something.." Cora started out, almost tearing up.

"Anything at all Cor. We're your family, we're always going to support you." Gilbert encouraged his younger sister.

"Immovingtofrancewithwinifred." She mumbled under her breath, the three figures looking at her questionably.

"I didn't quite catch that, Cor." Gilbert furrowed his eyebrows as he watched his sister fidget with her fingers nervously.

"I'm.. uh.. I'm moving to France with Winifred." She said clearly this time, watching as their expressions dropped.

"W-What?" Gilbert choked out, his hazel eyes glossy with tears. Cora saw that glistening tears had already run down both Bash and Mary's cheeks.

"I can't pretend like I don't love her, Gil. I can't live in this close minded town anymore. Or even in all of Prince Edward Island. The people here are old fashioned. It's honestly suffocating.. I cannot take it anymore.. France is progressive, and the people there actually accept people like me. I don't have to pretend anymore Gil, I'll be free. Finally, free. Like I can breathe again." Cora's eyes glistened with salty tears, and one rolled down her cheek as Gilbert got up from his chair and embraced her tightly.

"Well then, I'll help you pack Cor." Gilbert whispered in her hair, planting a brotherly kiss on her forehead. "I will definitely visit you, even if it's via a steamship. And please write to me Cor. You're my sister after all, I love you."

"I love you too Gilbert. You're my older brother, my rock. Thank you for letting me do this." Cora sniffled in his shoulder, and slowly pulling away from the embrace.

"I just want you to be happy." He smiled at his younger sister, and she hugged him once more.

"I'll miss you, Cor." Mary wiped her tears, "You're my daughter as much as Delly is." She embraced Cora tightly, adoptive mother and daughter now fully sobbing.

Bash was the last to speak, and embraced her in a tight hug, "Cora Blythe embarks on her next adventure. Avonlea will miss your endless pranks and mischief." Cora weeped even harder, Bash mimicking her gesture.

"Thank you for being my family for all these years. I will definitely write to you, and please do come to visit." Cora sniffled, wiping her red eyes softly. "I need to go tell Anne the news now.. I shall take my leave."

─ ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─

( 752 words )

author's note:
the next few chapters might be a lil sad but it gets happier once they're in france hehe :) thank u for reading muah