The Witch Who Won't Part II

"Brother!" Klaus bellowed, pushing through the compound's gates he went. They clattered behind him without ceremony.

"I know you can hear me. Elijah!"

No answer.

Never breaking his stride, Klaus found himself in the lounge. There, the elder brother sat, never sparing a glance at the younger.

Elijah was thumbing through a book. Worn. Probably one of his, fifteenth century from the look of it.

"Are you quite finished, brother?" He asked. Klaus scowled at him.

"That witch disobeyed me!" He ground out. The bar called out to him.

Slamming a glass on the counter and pouring a sizable amount, Klaus wasted no time. He guzzled the drink down, and a dull fire filled his throat. He paid it no mind.

"Forgive me, Niklaus, but there are a number of witches in this town with that particular disposition. Care to be more specific?" Elijah's voice was a steady baritone, so very matter of fact.

It was grating Klaus's nerves almost as much as that witch. She would pay for her insolence, and her punishment was his to dole out.

...

"Let-let me get this straight. You find a way to piss off the biggest and the baddest vampires this side of the Mississippi, and now you wanna go back and say hello."

Vincent didn't pull any punches.

The worry in his eyes and his shaky palms on his nose included. It was always like that with you and him. A big cousin always full of worry for the little one. But neither of you were kids running through the Tremé anymore. Y'all were grown, and had to make some grown decisions.

"I messed this up, Vince. I can fix this." You said.

Vincent shook his head. He wasn't going for it. You pulled on a loose strand of hair, taking the opportunity to retwist it. The memory of Klaus and his domineering presence made you squirm.

He was more than another thing that went bump in the night—he was an unpredictable mess of tightly wound strings, waiting for a reason.

"Set it up with Elijah. And you come with me." You pleaded with him. Vincent placed his hands on his sides, shaking his head.

"There is-is nothing that's gonna stop that family from tearing you apart!" His eyes searched for another answer, any other answer.

You steeled yourself under his gaze. Vincent couldn't protect you from Klaus, and it wouldn't have been fair to ask him to. You reached in your bag. Pulling out a small chest, Vincent was too wrapped up in thought to notice at first. The small thud makes him snap his head up.

"I have this."

...

A loud ping took Klaus out of his pity party.

It was Elijah's. His brother unfastened his vest button and rose to his feet.

"It appears your witch has an ally in Vincent Griffith. He's scheduled a meeting. I agreed." Klaus could feel Elijah's unflinching gaze on his back.

"Am I to assume I have not been invited to play?" He asked. Klaus smirked and downed another glass.

"I beg you Niklaus, not to interfere. I suspect our dear witch is more than she appears."

...

The Mikaelson compound was nothing like you had imagined it.

Running a hand across a pillar, you feel the leaves and vines. There was magic here. All around here. Vincent's voice pulls you out of your reverie; you let your hand fall and your eyes drift upwards.

Elijah. His eyes met yours, and narrowed. You spare a fleeting glance at Vincent and faced the Original head on.

"Y/N."

He considers you for a moment. You swallow, but don't back down.

"I want my shop to be neutral. Whatever y'all got going on, I don't want no parts of it." You hold your chin up. It was the truth.

Elijah smirked and adjusted his collar. Vincent decided to chime in.

Out of the corner of your eye, you see a curtain shift. You see him. You knew Klaus would be listening, but you didn't expect him to make an appearance.

"Elijah, I've got a peace offering."

You took off the necklace and held it up. Not to Elijah. No, your eyes drifted back to the window. Klaus wasn't there anymore.

"And what treachery have you concocted, witch?"

You should have known better.

Klaus was never going to go quietly into the night. You whip around at the sound, trying not to falter.

"My name is Y/N. The necklace is a gift. It'll keep your mind free of anything or anyone you don't want there." You sounded bolder than you felt. Your heart raced faster than before.

"Tread carefully, brother."  You had almost forgotten about Elijah. And about your cousin, too. You guessed it was a consequence of being wrapped up in Klaus.

Elijah's warning made the hybrid keep his distance, and Vincent being there was probably even more of a challenge. You took a breath, and met his eyes.

"I won't be a pawn in anyone's game. Not even an Original's."

All eyes were on the two of you. You stood tall. Your magic was yours to decide how you used it. The burning honesty behind Klaus's gaze took you by surprise.

"Get out." He said. It was barely above a whisper.

"Out!"

This time he said it with all of the force and might one could expect from an Original vampire. Suddenly, it was over. Vincent led you along towards the exit, but your feet were glued to the ground. You looked from a calculating Elijah to your right, and a silent Klaus dead ahead.

You couldn't leave him standing like that. Klaus did you a kindness; something that was most likely alien to him. Pulling your hand out, you step closer to him.

You untie it. You slowly reach out to tie it around Klaus's neck, but his iron grip stops you just shy of his chest. Firm, yet gentle. Odd for a man with such an easy switch.

He grabs the necklace from you, your hands overlapping as he does. A strange gesture that lingers in the air. You watch Klaus tie the necklace himself.

"Thank you." You whisper. The words spill out faster than you can stop them. In his own way, Klaus accepted your gift and was going to leave you be. You almost didn't want him to. 

Vincent called your name. You retract your arm, your fingertips were so close to his chest. Stuck in your stupor, you stumble away You try hard not to stare at the hybrid as you did.

You were granted a kindness not usually given to anyone, not even his own family.

The cool air greeted you outside the compound, and Vincent, too. You tried not to look at his awestruck expression for too long.

"Let's go."

The pair of you walk through the partying crowd, leaving the Mikaelsons in their good graces. Or at least one Mikaelson, anyways. You spare one last look at the compound and the man on the inside. A soft smile snuck its way on your face.

You'd be seeing Klaus again. You knew it.