• Chapter 23 •

Beginne am Anfang

She began to sing, a beautiful song, her voice sounded as smooth as silk. I was so enthralled by her beauty that I didn't even realise I was reaching out to her, and vice versa.

"(Y/n) what are you doing?!" Jim shouted.

"That could be dangerous." Tom quickly added.

~ James' P.O.V. ~
(Y/n) had literally started floating off the floor and towards the mermaid who was singing. A beautiful song really, no. Snap out of it.

I quickly grabbed (Y/n)'s leg but knew I wouldn't be strong enough to pull her back, it must of been some kind of weird magic.

"Silver! Silver! Snap out of it!" I shouted to Silver who hadn't yet reached out but looked like he was about to.

Before I knew if he had snapped out of it yet I looked over at Tom who looked just as enchanted with one of the other mermaids as (Y/n) did at first. I glanced at the mermaid by accident, and one of them caught my eye. Oh no.

I tried my best to ignore the creature but her singing was so magical. I couldn't pull my gaze away and my grip on (Y/n) began to loosen. That was until I felt the huge hands of silver pull me back and turn me around.

"Cover your ears Jimbo!" Silver said.

"What?" I said still starry eyed. But after a I processed what he said, I slowly put my hands up to my ears, and was immediately pulled out of the trance I had been in.

I turned back around to see what was happening, Silver was trying to pull (Y/n) and Tom back by himself. I ripped small piece of my shirt as fast as I could and used them to plug my ears. Then I quickly grabbed onto Silver and helped him tug the two back. It was a struggle but we were able to get them down.

I stared at (Y/n) who was still starry eyed, as I was just moments ago. I gently, but quickly grabbed her hands and placed them over her ears, then watched as she quickly returned back to reality but still seemed confused. Silver had done the same for Tom.

The mermaids had started to screech, it was just a horrible sound. We all quickly ran down to get to the galley to get away from the noise. On our way it seemed as if the crew had just gone through the exact same thing as us. Everyone was sitting around looked dazed whilst the mermaids still screeched along side the ship. There were many more of them than we originally thought.

As we reached the galley, Silver turned around to face the crew and shouted, "Everyone to your cabins now!" His booming voice reaching every crew member.

They all scurried towards their cabins and we ran down into the galley and shut the doors. I turned to (Y/n) and she was shaking so I put my arm around her just to comfort her.

~ (Y/n)'s P.O.V. ~
I was looking around the room, I couldn't figure out where I was. Everything was blurry. I started to tremble. I didn't know what was going on, I could hear faint shrieking coming from all around. I started to breath quicker and panic.

That was all until I felt an arm around me and pull my body towards them. "Hey, hey it's ok." James. Thank gods for that. It was James,I immediately relaxed into his grip. After calming down a bit the smell of the room hit me. Burning candles. We were in the galley, it's the only place that has candles to light it because it's inside the ship with no windows.

"Let's all sit down now for a bit." came Silvers voice.

Jim guided me over to one of the benches, I didn't even think about bumping into anything as you would usually. I just followed him blindly, literally. I still couldn't see properly. I mean I probably could have got to my seat, I did run all the was down here from the bow of the ship.

I sat down and was still in my mind trying to figure out what had happened. James sat down beside me, Tom and Silver in front of me, I could just tell from their silhouettes. The last thing I remember was catching the eye of one of the mermaids. What is that terrible screeching. I thought I was going crazy.

"Are they ever going to shut up?" Tom asked, aggravated.

"You can hear that too?" I blurted. My vision was  getting a lot better.

"Yeah (Y/n), it's the mermaids. Do you not remember?" Jim asked softly, with a concerned look on his face.

"No." I said confused.

James and Tom looked at each other a little shocked and concerned.  Silver seemed to be deep in thought. "Can someone please explain what happened?!" I shouted.

"What's the last thing you remember?" said Tom calmly.

"Looking at the mermaids?" I said.

"Woah that's weird." He replied.

"That was the last thing that happened, was it not?" I asked.

The two boys explained everything that had just happened. I couldn't believe that I just had this hole in my memory, it felt really disorientating.

"They were no mermaids" Silver said darkly out of nowhere.

"What?" Tom asked confused.

"Sirens." He stated plainly.

"What are sirens?" Jim asked.

"Creatures, legendary ones, just as mermaids are. Never thought they was real either. You can tell by the song they'd been singing." Silver half explained.

"Not much of a song anymore if you ask me." I said, still hearing the deafening screams from outside.

"Yeah, they'll run a rig on you. They use some other worldly power to entice men and take them for their own. If you listen to their song and look in their eyes you're close to death. If they touch you then you'll be on your way to Davy Jones Locker." Silver continued on about these mysterious and terrifying creatures.