Chapter 14 - The Existential Crisis

Start from the beginning

It was still evening and I planned to nap till tomorrow morning, so that I could escape reality for atleast a while.

The bed was soft and cradled me like a baby but to my surprise sleep eluded me, all the day's events constantly played in a loop at the front of my mind.

Was I unloyal by kissing Danny?
Why did I kiss Danny??
What was wrong with me?
Do I love Danny?
What was he thinking after that kiss?
What would Mr. Carter think?
What if he finds out?
Was I a gold digger?
Did I just sell myself for money?

If anyone in the world found out that I signed this contract then the first conclusion that they would jump to would be that I was a gold digger,

someone who wouldn't think twice before selling herself, but until they have no food in their stomach,

they wouldn't understand the desperation of true hunger. I didn't want to piggy back on someone else's shoulder then I would be nothing but a burden.

With a normal job I would just barely manage to make ends meet but now I had the world at my feet.

I desperately tried to stop overthinking and before I knew it a small sob left me and soon I was a crying mess, I hugged the pillows tightly and cried into them, all the tears that I had been saving up for the past few months were due now and I just lost all control.

After a good hour or so it seemed, I finally fell asleep.

I woke up to a strange ringing, it was a loud alarm but it wasn't my alarm, it was just very familiar.

Oh shit!
It's the fire alarm!

I got up in a hurry and was relieved to find myself not surrounded by flames and the alarm came to a sudden stop.
I made my way downstairs towards the kitchen as smoke was clearly coming from there.

Holy!!!

The kitchen was black with smoke!!

I heard coughing from inside the kitchen and Mr.Carter emerged all distraught. Even in that situation he looked pristine with a white shirt and black sweatpants and his spotless apron .

"What did you burn?" I asked not being able to stop myself from chuckling at him.

For the first time I could read him like an open book, he failed at baking something and he wasn't very happy about it.

He ignored me and continued to dissipate the smoke and brought out a tray of what looked like black bricks arranged symmetrically.

The air became clearer, his counter contained 2 glasses of warm milk judging by the light vapours and an empty bowl of chocolate dough, it looked like he was making something related to chocolates maybe perhaps even chocolate bricks.

He had this absolutely funny annoyed look on his face like he would do anything else than be embarrassed because he burned something.

Day one and we're already making progress
Note to self: make fun of his baking if ever threatened

For the next 10 minutes I stood there watching him until I cleared my throat to get his attention but he looked very busy cleaning the kitchen and putting everything in it's proper place.

And then suddenly his eyes landed on me and as if the air stopped his face changed into a frigid cold expression.
I couldn't read him anymore, the cute man embarrassed about his cooking was replaced by this heartless human.

He stared at me with those emotionless emerald eyes for almost a minute, like I was a ghost or some kind of entity, for a second even I felt hollow until he finally spoke and what he said next made me look as pale as a ghost.

"Ms. Sapphire, I give you 5 minutes to run away right now, you don't need to pay me anything and the contract is off but only for the next 5 minutes, you can leave me and go to Danny, I promise I'll never bother you again"

If I said, I was flabbergasted it would be an understatement. My entire being froze as the adrenaline rushed through my veins.

"What will it be Ms. Sapphire?"

**********

AUTHOR'S NOTE

WHAT WILL SHE SAY?

WILL SHE RUN AWAY THIS TIME?

WHY DID HE ASK HER THAT QUESTION?

STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT..

VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE!!!
Thank you so much for reading!!!
It's Tuesday and I stuck to my schedule;)

VOTING HELPS, SO PLEASE MAKE SURE TO VOTE!

Love you beautiful creatures!!

Do tell me in the comments, how you liked the chapter and your favourite parts! I promise I won't bite:)

Anyway, love you beautiful creatures !!<3 🥰🥰🥰💜💜💜