Pancakes and dark shadows

Chapter 2

Its not possible, it can't be, I must have scratched myself in my sleep, I glanced at my short, blunt nails and back at the fresh scratches and shuddered. 

Forcing my attention elsewhere, I padded quietly into my en-suite, I flicked the light on and nearly choked when I saw the reflection looking back at me in the bathroom mirror, my skin was deathly pale, my bright green eyes were wide and shocked, framed with dark, heavy bags, evidence of my lack of sleep, my long honey blonde hair was sticking up everywhere.

 I sighed and turned on the cold water tap, the freezing water against my face helped distract my thoughts and wake me up, I turned off the tap and shrugged out of my pyjamas, no point going back to sleep now I might as well get up, not that I got much sleep, I scoffed sardonically out loud.

I gripped the dial for the shower and turned the heat up high, maybe the boiling water will help me relax. 

Stepping into the shower, my shoulders dropped, and the scorching hot water washed over my aching muscles, I moaned in content as the water poured over my body, slowly I started to relax. This nightmare was really starting to affect me, I hadn't slept properly in over a week and my thoughts were constantly preoccupied, what did it mean? Did it mean anything? Was it simply just a nightmare?

I sighed exasperatedly and grabbed my orchid and vanilla shampoo, lathering my thick long hair in sweet smelling shampoo, I could feel my dark thoughts melting away. After thoroughly rinsing out the shampoo, I squeezed a generous dollop of coconut conditioner into my hand, running my fingers through my hair, I rubbed the mouth-wateringly scented conditioner through my wavy locks.

 I loved the smell of coconut it instantly made me relax, grabbing my shea butter and honey body wash of the shower rack I scrubbed my body raw all over until all my stress had melted, and I felt sufficiently clean. I always spent too long in the shower I'm a bit of a clean freak and enjoy the time to reflect.

I turned the shower off and stepped out, grabbing a fluffy light blue towel off the radiator, I wrapped my body and hair up. I must have been in the shower awhile, the whole bathroom was filled with steam, my thoughts flashed back to the thick fog in the dream and I squeezed my eyes shut, forcing the thoughts out of my head.

 I couldn't deal with these intrusive thoughts, today was a big day I needed a clear, calm head. I wandered out of the bathroom and grabbed some clothes, a pair of blue skinny jeans and an over sized grey wash t-shirt, fashion is really not my forte, if is comfy then I wear it, even if I looked homeless.

My stomach growled noisily, a giggle escaped my lips at the sheer volume of it, man I'm hungry but I can't just start making breakfast at the crack of dawn, I don't want to wake my grandparents. I looked over at the clock, it read 6.45am, dam id been in the shower for over an hour! No wonder I felt like an overcooked noodle. Well, it's still pretty early by my grandma was normally up at 6.30, I quickly towel dried my hair and slipped on a pair of socks.

 Bounding down the stairs I was hit with a delicious aroma, my stomach growled furiously as the scent of pancakes wafted up the stairs, I sped my pace up practically running down the stairs, I love pancakes and the smell instantly cheered me up.

As I neared the kitchen, I could hear quiet shuffling and bustling as my grandma cooked up her famous chocolate chip pancakes, the beautiful aroma hit me like a brick wall as I opened the kitchen door, I could feel myself drooling as I made my way over to the wooden breakfast table "nonna those smell incredible!".

My grandma was a petite slim woman who looked half her age, she had barely any wrinkles and was very beautiful, her dark greying hair was tied into a tight bun, and her worn pink apron was tied around her slim waist in a loose bow as she stood with her back towards me flipping pancakes on the stove.