The Warning

The sun had long set and they were driving through the familiar road to his condo. There was a light drizzle as they wade through the traffic. War's voice echoing inside the car as the smaller man hummed along to the song on the stereo.

"You sound good." Yin compliments, eyes on the road. "You should sing more often."

War laughs and Yin turns to him momentarily to see his face lighting up in a smile.

"You flatter me too much."

Yin shrugs, turning to War again when they stop at a red light. "It's true."

All throughout the drive, War's voice enveloped the vehicle. Sometimes Yin will join him, making War break out in laughter whenever he forgets the lyrics. Other times War will cajole him into singing along and he relents, chuckling as War moves around in his seat to imitate the dance of the song. But most of the time he was content to let War have the spotlight, opting to listen to the other man's voice.

Like this it was easy to forget what had just happened. Yin guessed that War had that effect on him, to make him feel safe even after all the chaos.

They pull in the driveway and Yin leads them inside, they make their way to the elevator still chatting about mindless things.

"What do you want to have for dinner?" Yin asks once the elevator doors close.

"Anything is fine." War said with a teasing smile. "I don't want to impose."

"A bit too late after inviting yourself over."

The doors open after three floors and two men get in, the smaller of the two spare them a glance and his eyebrows furrow but he shakes his head when his companion asks him if there was anything wrong.

Weird. Yin thought. He exchanged a glance with War who only shrugged.

The doors open again.

"Going up?" It was a child. Yin felt goosebumps on his skin and War's hand suddenly grabbed his in a tight grip.

But before either of them could answer, the man who gave them a weird look earlier quickly punched the button to close the elevator doors before turning to the child.

"Sorry kid, going down."

There was tension in the air as they watched the elevator doors close. No one was talking ang War hasn't let go of his hand.

"Babe?" The other man said turning to his companion who had turned deathly white. "Aren't we going up?"

"Yes but I think it would be best for all of us if we left him there." The smaller man turned to them "Don't you agree?"

They both nod, Yin squeezing War's hand. They don't need another spook for tonight.

"What? Why? Babe it's late, the kid might be lost."

"You're too trusting for your own good." The smaller man laughs at his companion and the elevator doors open. "This is our floor, go on ahead, I'll be right behind you."

"Alright." The couple turns to them and the taller waves before stepping out of the elevator. "Sorry about him, he's a bit weird but I adore him nonetheless. See you around."

And then there were just the three of them inside. The stranger levels them with a stare.

"I'm assuming you both know what that thing was." They nod. "Good, you're aware. My boyfriend, he's not like us, I'd like to keep him away from them as much as possible. But that's not the case with the two of you."

The stranger walks out and turns to them again, eyes sharp. "I wasn't going to say anything but my conscience won't allow me. Be cautious. That's all I can tell you. Take care of each other and goodluck, you'll need it."