The Copycat

Even a week after the bus incident, the area was still wrapped in fear. It wasn't everyday that such a thing happened in the city. Rumors started spreading and people were whispering about the mysterious fate of the driver and the other unidentified passengers.

Yin kept his head low, no one knew he was one of the passengers of the bus that night, no one lived to tell the tale, no one except him and War. And he would like to keep it that way.

Before that night, Yin thought that he was through with those things. No more ghosts. No more weird things. But clearly he was wrong.

"Yin!"

He turned around and saw Off waving at him from a distance. He stopped and waited for the elder ro catch up before they were walking the familiar path to the library.

"How are you feeling?" Off asked.

"Like I just had a brush with death." He joked as they rounded the corner. "It's still unsettling."

"It could just be a coincidence?" The elder consoled.

"You know, I've learned to believe long ago that coincidences don't exist."

"Maybe this is the exception?"

"I really hope so."

They enter the library and take the seats at the very back. It was their usual haunt because it was usually unoccupied. The area was also relatively quiet, students usually don't wander off to this section, it was ideal for studying and for taking naps.

Yin took out his things to start working on his papers, Off did the same and not long after they were both silently working.

"Hey Yin." Off called.

"Hmm?" Yin hummed, eyes still glued on his paper.

"How do you feel about War?"

"What do you mean?" Yin asks, putting his pen down and turning his full attention to the elder.

"He saved your life and both of you seem to share this-" Off makes vague gestures with his hands. "whatever it is that makes you see those things. Didn't you just say that you don't believe in coincidences?"

"I don't. I think I met him for a reason. But what that reason may be, I don't know."

"Be careful."

"Of War? I thought you knew him, isn't he your boyfriend's friend?"

"I know War is a good guy but both of you seem to have a penchant for attracting danger."

"Is this you being worried about us?" Yin teased.

"Don't push your luck kid."

They shared a laugh before they were back to their respective work. After about half an hour, Yin was already starting to doze off. He rested his head on the cool surface of the table and let his eyes close.

"Hey, I'm going to meet Gun outside, I'll be back in a bit."

Yin waved him off without looking up and he heard the scrape of Off's chair against the floor.

He was about to drift off to dreamland when he had the distinct feeling that he was being watched. He stilled in his seat before jolting up, frantically looking around him. There was no one.

Yin was about to shrug it off to his imagination when he caught a movement in his peripheral vision. He turned and again saw nothing.

"Are you alright?"

He whipped his head to the direction of the voice and saw War in a hoodie standing in front of him.

"War. What are you doing here?"

The other man takes the seat in front of him, even clearing away some of Off's things.

"I was looking through the shelves and I saw you."

"Did you happen to-" Yin started before shaking his head.

"Did I happen to what?"

"Nothing." He replies with a smile, comforted with the thought that he was no longer alone, but for some odd reason, there was something off, although he couldn't quite pinpoint what it was. Maybe he was just tired.

"Isn't it too hot for a hoodie?" He teases.

"Mind your own business." War replies poking his tongue out at him. "I can wear whatever I want."

"If you say so. I'll get some sleep, can you wake me up when Off and Gun are here?" Yin asked the other who merely nodded. He laid his head on the table again and started falling asleep, trying to forget the unsettling feeling in his chest.

He was woken up a few minutes later to someone shaking his shoulder. He opened his eyes and he saw Off taking his previous seat, War nowhere in sight.

"You're back? Where's War?" Yin asked, looking around for the smaller man.

"He and Gun are grabbing some books. Wait-" Off looked directly at him. "How did you know War was here, weren't you asleep?"

"He was just-"

Yin was interrupted by the arrival of their other companions who took their respective seats on the table. He turned to War and noticed something missing.

"Where's your hoodie? I told you it was too hot for one."

The other man looked at him weirdly. "My what?"

"Your hoodie? Gray oversized one, you were wearing it just a while ago."

"Yin it's blazing outside, why would I be wearing a hoodie."

"But you were just-" He looked at the man next to him and then at the seat that Off was now occupying. "Right there."

War's eyes hardened, looking mildly terrifying and if they weren't in another one of these situations, Yin might have thought he looked cute.

"I just arrived, whoever you saw, it wasn't me."

War bit his lips, suddenly deep in thought. "I think I know what it is."

"I have a faint idea. Should we be worried?" Yin asks.

"I don't think so, they usually mean no harm."

"What are you talking about?" Off asked.

"Doppelganger."

They were walking out of the library, both Yin and War in their own thoughts when a dramatic gasp broke their silence.

"This is like an episode from ghost busters." Gun said. "Why don't you start a business busting ghosts."

"Babe." Off said with a small smile. "I don't think it works like that."

"Why not?" The other man pouts.

"Because ghosts can't be busted" War replies, making air quotes when he said the word busted. "They go when they have to go and there are beings that I'd rather not cross paths with thank you very much. The best we can do is make sure they don't harm us."

"Besides, I already attracted enough supernatural shenanigans in the past. I don't want to go looking for them." Yin replies with a shrug.

He chanced a look at the window near one of the shelves and what he saw had chills running down his spine.

It was War. Not his War. His War was standing next to him chatting with their friends, this War was sitting eerily by the windowsill, gray hoodie wrapping his form.

The doppelganger turned, looking him dead in the eye and smiled. That sinister smile looking out of place in War's face.

"Yin." Their eye contact was broken when War shoved him gently. "What is it?"

"I think you have to be extra careful."

"Why?" War asked, tilting his head.

"Just a hunch."

It was safe to say that Yin wouldn't be visiting the library alone any time soon.