Chapter Six | Victor and Tribute

Quinn hadn't remembered this part of being a Victor. The occasional invitations to the Capitol, to be on with Caesar again. Quinn had been dreading this, the only thing that gave her a bit of hope that she would say something she'd regret was the fact that she and Finnick would both be on air at the same time. Finnick would be able to find a way to cover up anything she said, he had been able to cover up what she had said while she was in the games-- she did have sponsors after all.

The woman that had taken Ciruss' place was a squeaky middle-aged woman. Her hair was short and flaming red, her skin was died a light shade of pink to match. But her voice, it even made Breea cringe whenever her back was turned. But she had put Quinn in an outfit that was similar to what Ciruss would have put her in. it was a dark blue blouse, white jeans with dark blue threading in designs. Then she had a white blazer to match. Her hair was straightened and left down. Then her makeup was very simple, a bit of eyeliner and then black mascara.

"Don't say anything stupid," Finnick said quietly. "At least try not to."

Quinn rolled her eyes a bit, "I won't."

But she couldn't promise anything. She hadn't been aloud a drink, at least not the sort she was used to. And she obviously wasn't aloud any morphling paper either. She could feel her old frustrations just building up simply because she was in the Capitol again.

"It can't be denied that District Four has produced some very memorable tributes, and Victors." Caesar smiled. The small screen that Quinn and Finnick were watching him on showed him in a green themed outfit with hair and lips to match. Then around him was the typical stage. "Two of which, we are lucky enough to get to speak with today on this very stage." he smiled, "Please welcome the Victors of the sixty-fifth and seventy-third Annual Hunger Games! Finnick Odair and Quinn Maverick!"

Finnick stepped out onto the stage first, flashing his usual smile at the cameras as he waved. Quinn could feel her stomach doing flips, how'd he do it? How did he look like he was happy to be there? Quinn took a deep breath and took a step out onto the stage forcing a fake smile onto her face.

Smile, wave, and smile some more.

Quinn stopped a step behind Finnick as Caesar greeted him, and then her. They both waved one more time before plopping down into a chair that had been set out for each of them.

"I am thrilled to have both of you here," Caesar smiled. "Are you glad to be back? In the Capitol, I mean." he asked, and then dramatically laughed for a moment as the audience cheered for a moment and laughed along with him.

"The Capitol is my home away from home, always has been." Finnick replied, "The people of the Capitol have always been there for me, even when I was young-- it's where my family is."

The audience awed in response, and Quinn couldn't think of a way to top that. She couldn't top that-- she couldn't even try to lie as well as Finnick had.

"What about you, Quinn?" Caesar asked after a moment of her silence. "Are you disappointed that a certain boy isn't here?"

Quinn felt both of her eyes arch up her forehead. "W-what?"

Caesar laughed dramatically again, and the audience did as well. Even Finnick chuckled a bit, but she couldn't tell if it was because of her response or if he was just as confused. What boy?

"The entire Capitol was full of chatter about the little dance you shared with a certain Radical at your Victory Party at the Presidential Party." Caesar said, leaning forward a bit.

"Oh!" she retorted quickly, "No, no, nothing like that. I wouldn't even say he was a friend!"

Caesar raised an eyebrow, "Then is there anyone? Or did that boy have a lost cause anyway?"

"She is a lost cause," Finnick chimed in. "She doesn't have a romantic bone in her body." he chuckled.

Quinn wanted to melt away into the chair. But she was glad that Finnick had taken back the interview.

"Is that so?" Caesar asked.

Finnick nodded, "In case you haven't noticed, she isn't good at making people like her. She's got a bit of a temper, don't you?" he said turning to her.

She forced herself to shrug a bit, "I can't deny it, everyone knows I get a bit..." she paused, "feisty I think would be the right word."

Caesar's laugh was like an order to both Quinn and Finnick to laugh a bit along with them. But after a moment, Caesar became serious again and the audience fell silent again too.

"Now, Quinn," Caesar began and Quinn wanted to run away. She didn't want the interview to be hers again. "Since you've had the chance to settle into being a Victor, how would you say being a Victor has changed you?"

Quinn knew she couldn't be honest. She couldn't just out her secret about the drinking and the morphling paper. She couldn't be honest about how awful she was, how better off she was as an orphan...but she couldn't lie either.

"In my opinion, Caesar," Quinn started. She knew that Finnick already could tell there was a possibility that this could go south really quickly by the way he shifted in his seat. "Every Victor is still a tribute. And every tribute is never a Victor."

He raised an eyebrow, "Care to explain?"

"Every Tribute goes into the arena wanting to survive. But each and every one of them loses something in the games, they don't win-- they survive." she paused, "And every Victor is still used by the Capitol for entertainment just like they were used in the games. So how has being a Victor changed me? It sucks, because I have to do stupid interviews like this and lie about something to make it seem like being a Victor is something glorious-"

Quinn stopped herself when she felt her nails digging into her palms. She instantly regretted everything she said, she hadn't meant for it to go that far...