I Don't Want to Fight Alone Anymore

Sasaki sat up in bed with a small sigh escaping his lips as his head felt light and his stomach just felt off. His throat dry as he stood, he walked towards the kitchen and gave a quiet cough revealing to him that his throat actually hurt. Bringing out a glass, he poured some water into it to take a quick swig of the liquid. Finding it didn't help, he concluded he had a small cold and quickly dug out the saki. Pouring himself a shot and warming the alcoholic liquid, he downed it in one swig. The saki left a warm feeling down his throat, masking the pain in his head as well. Maybe a sick day was a must.

Changing his pants and changing into a jacket, Sasaki slipped on his shoes and went outside for a walk in the cold quiet streets of the morning. The sun still had an hour or so until it rose, so that's the time he had before his squad found he wasn't in his room. Letting his feet carry him wherever, he found himself at :RE. Then again, in the past week the schedule had been the same. Work, :RE, home, repeat. Just today, he was going to the coffee shop first.

Swinging open the door, he was greeted by the barista but couldn't find it in himself to acknowledge Toma. Sitting down at his usual table, he rested his head in his arms and closed his eyes. This place was just so much better than the CCG. Raising his head as a click of a coffee cup was placed nearby, he noticed Toma was sitting across from him now.

"What's wrong with you?" Toma asked bluntly, blinking at the seemingly tired investigator with her long lashes as her purple eyes scanned over him.

"Felt like shit. Still do." Sassan mumbled but as he did so, Toma's eyebrows furrowed.

"Did you, uh, have a shot of Saki? This early in the morning?"

"Mhm. You'd be surprised at my alcohol tolerance though."

"That's what they all say... Hey, I have something that'd supposedly get rid of a small portion of the cold." Upon saying that, Toma withdrew a small bag of about half a dozen off white cubes. Opening the clear bag, she brought out one of the sugar like cubes and reached forward to drop it in his coffee.

"But I don't like sugar in my cof-"

"Just drink it."

Not having the energy to argue, Sasaki brought the coffee up to his lips and took a small sip. Curiosity crossing his mind, he looked toward Toma as he took more of a gulp next. "It doesn't taste like sugar, but it's like, oh, I don't even know. It just tastes so familiar."

Toma nodded her head and pulled out another cube and popped it in her mouth. "It was the old manager's secret recipe. I still don't know how he made them." She lied. She was the one making them now and they were certainly not human friendly.

"I mean, wow, it's just so good."

"Glad you like 'em."

"Don't know if it'll help my cold at all, but I love the flavor."

"Here. Take what's left in this bag. Just don't tell anyone because I am certainly not willing to give out my already limited supply."

Sasaki gratefully took the bag and put it in one of his pockets and gave a bow of his head. "Thanks Toma-chan."

"Just call me Toma."

"Oh, um, alright. Thank you."

Finishing his coffee, he watched as Toma took his cup and put it away to clean, his eyes darting towards her phone which buzzed as she worked causing the small rabbit keychain to almost jump.

Looking down at his own phone which also vibrated with a message, he quickly read the words strung together and sent by Arima.

Arima: Your late for work.