chapter 3 ~ catastrophe

december 21

lavender was sitting in her high chair, being a little fussy with not eating her food, when gabbie came through the door.

"hey!" she greeted. "thanks for watching lav while i was in my last class."

"no problem. i'm always happy to babysit little lavy." i kiss lavender's head, she giggles at me.

she set her backpack down at the foot of her bed. "what's got you so happy today? other than it being the last day before winter break."

i laughed to myself remembering what had happened. "you remember that girl sophie i was telling you about that zach was dating."

"mhm." she nodded, then took lavender out of her high chair and laid her down in her crib.

"well zach told me that they broke up a week ago!"

"score!" she squealed. "well... sad for sophie, but good for you!"

"i know! not like it's going to happen, but i'm still kind of excited about it." i shrugged, getting saddened by my own words.

"don't say that, y/n/n." she nudges my shoulder a bit. "it will happen. maybe not today, but some day."

i smiled at her, she always knew how to cheer me up.

gabbie pulls what i'm assuming is our mail from today out of her backpack and hands me a letter. "your parents wrote you again."

i took the letter and started opening it right away. i had been keeping the charade up of me having a boyfriend for the past four months, it was kind of fun, and my parents were showing pride in me for the first time.

though a lot of it was i'm so glad you found someone just like your sister has and you're starting to become just like your sister.

it was kind of driving me crazy, but it was better than them saying how i should be more like my sister.

y/n, seeing as christmas time is coming up, your father and i think that you should invite your boyfriend to spend christmas with us.

shit shit shit shit shit.

"y/n are you okay?" gabbie asked. "you look like you just saw a ghost."

"my parents want me to bring my boyfriend to christmas with them." i say, blankly.

she gasped. "what?"

"they want to meet him."

"she wants your boyfriend, who doesn't exist, to go back with you to your hometown for christmas?" she basically summed up everything up that was in the letter.

"yep." shit shit SHIT.

"can't you just tell her that you two broke up? that could work right?"

"no i..." i sighed, i dug myself into this hole. "the last letter i wrote to them i wrote that we were stronger than ever, i can't just backpedal on my words without looking suspicious. they would just blame me."

gabbie starts to smirk, i'm a little bewildered by her smirking because i'm in the middle of a catastrophe right now. "what are you smirking at?"

"you gave them the fake name zach... right?" her smirk only grows.

oh fuck. "yeah..."

"well, i happen to know someone named zach who you have had a crush on since forever." she starts to chuckle. i put my head in my hands, trying to hide the blush that's slowly coming onto my cheeks. "and if you need to bring your 'boyfriend' named zach to christmas with your parents..."

"you're saying i should ask zach fucking herron to pretend to be my boyfriend for christmas with my parents?"

she nodded. "that's exactly what i'm saying."

you
zach will you come to my dorm?

zachary😸
um yeah but why?

you
just because

please?

zachary😸
of course! i'm on my way!