Chapter 39 - FINAL

Start from the beginning

"Hey.." Lynn's quiet voice interrupts the heavy silence, making everyone look at her.

Unable to tell when she and her family had came, they stare at her, until she pulls out her phone and quickly hands it over to Killua. It wasn't anything special. It looks like a voice recording.

As soon as he taps on the button to play, he heard you lovable voice from the recording. His eyes widens as he grips the phone a bit tighter.

"Hey, I don't know if I'm going to survive this, so I'm leaving a few words for you. Thank you. Thank you so much for everything you've done. I am happy, so happy that I could say that I have no regrets."

In the recording, anyone could tell that you were sobbing quite a bit and in pain, but you continue on.

"I am thankful, and I hope you will make a comeback from this soon. I do not allow you to follow me, and I do not blame you either. Live a strong, full life. I really love you, Killua."

Then they could Lynn's voice calling for you as the phone lands with a thud, and the audio cuts off there. Uncontrollable emotions overwhelms anyone that was hearing the audio.

There were sobs and a few sniffles. It was the last thing you had left to him. Everything felt unrealistic. It felt like such a short time. He couldn't bring you back from the dead.

Lynn wipes her tears hearing it again. This made everyone else emotional. It felt so hard and nothing could be kept in.

"Thank you." Killua thank her as he hands her phone back to her.

She shakes her head as she replays the audio over and over again. Although she couldn't call this amazing person her sister, she was devastated by your death.

Hearing your voice over and over again made Killua unable to quietly cry to himself, making him have to excuse himself.

Katerina came over, worried, and on the behalf of the other staff, she brought some get-well gifts to you. Only when she found out about the news, she couldn't accept it.

"How could such a strong person die like this?! I refuse to believe it. Are you sure you're not lying?!" Katerina's loud voice could be heard across the quiet hospital.

Her voice may have sounded of one with rage, but her voice cracks each time she asks a question, making her tone fill with sorrow. The loss of you wasn't one to take easily.

Once she had finally accepted the truth, she fell to her knees, crying and sobbing out on the floor. Her makeup was almost smeared from continuous crying.

Remembering of the photos she took earlier, she quickly took them out to appreciate you in those photos. You were happily smiling at Killua as he looked at you tenderly.

It was all destroyed.

A utopia of happiness that he wanted to bring to you was unable to be delivered, and the promise was quickly broken, as he couldn't protect you.

That night, he couldn't sleep. Your warm body and pretty smile was all gone. You ceased to exist in this world anymore.

He missed you dearly, often listening to the audio that Lynn sent him over and over again during the night; however, each time he heard your voice, he felt so compelled to take you out of there, as if you were still alive and breathing.

It didn't help much either that Katerina had sent those photos to him, hoping to make him feel better. It had only made him realize how quickly he had lost you.

——-

A report was made the next morning during the autopsy. There was a small dose of cyanide in your system.

Thankfully, the police already had a suspect in mind. The same woman who had opened the back door for Jane was the exact same person who came up to you in the corridor offering you chocolates. Police quickly made an arrest.

Katerina still had the napkin that you had used in her pockets, as she was unable to process things and didn't throw out anything. The napkin that you used had small cyanide powder. It seems that it was sprinkled over the chocolates.

All over the media was the death of the Zoldyck's heir's fiancé. Many empathize with the loss, yet a few minor people made it turn negative and toxic. Some were even happy that the heir was back to being single again.

There were a lot of mixed emotions from the media, but Killua didn't care for any of those. Had he been more diligent, this wouldn't have happened, but what had happened already happened.

A funeral was prepared for you by Killua personally after the case was closed. Many people came despite not knowing who you were. Some were there hoping to make connections with the heir. Unfortunately, they were quite unlucky, as they were quickly met with a cold and unwelcoming gaze by the heir himself.

A bundle of your favorite flowers were put on your grave. The future you two promised one another couldn't come true. Likewise, time is very short. Spend it as if each is your last.

Cherish what you have now before you lose it all.

-———-

"It's the 10th year of your death anniversary. How have you been, y/n?" He sets down a bottle of wine and sips on his glass.

Although you weren't here anymore, he'll cherish those memories forever. As young and naive adults, he had grown to be more cautious and diligent ever since.

"I still miss you, y/n. So much that I would sometimes dream of you, only to wake up and disappoint myself." He smiles quietly.

It wasn't a happy smile, but only a smile out of consideration for you. On that day, he had lost it all, but he was going to listen to you and live however he want, even if that meant not getting another significant partner again.

A person could make such a huge difference even if they think that they haven't.

Thank you so much for sticking to the end! It felt a bit rushed towards the end. I hope you don't mind. I'll be taking a break for a while before actually starting and write any other fanfic. I'll see you in a week or so of August 2021 lol.

Have a great day and stay hydrated. Please know that you are loved and treasure yourself and others more.