Chapter 16 Everything

Start from the beginning

"But I plan to marry Nick."

"Don't matter much to the likes of gentlemen like Charles."

"I'll talk to Nick and get him to back up my story. Tell everyone else to act like nothing happened."

"In this house, Little Bird, we are experts at that."

Nick arrived back in time for lunch and they ate in the garden where they could expect privacy. Relly told him about Molly and her intervention. "I think it would be better we told everyone that you and I went exploring and found Molly and I turned her out," Nick said.

"You have a point there."

"Yes, it would deflect the blame from you. I want you to stay in Grandmothers good graces. She finally appears to be warming up to you."

"What do you know about Charles and the rumors about his...interactions with female staff." Relly was anxious about this subject. She was beginning to trust Charles and now she was unsure.

"Rumors are that he enjoys the chase then abandons the poor woman once he has his way, why?"

"Would you treat a woman like that? Use her and leave her with child? Let her be thrown from her home."

"No I would not. And I will never abandon you. And if I were to sire a child I would provide for that child."

"Are all gentlemen like Charles?"

"Many are Sweetheart, but not all. My father was not and my friends are not. Some women can be just as bad but that I think is unusual."

"Have you had your heart broken," Relly asked curiously. "Have you sired any children?"

"No, I've had my pride hurt but never my heart. I have no children as of yet. I am hoping for a strong strapping son and a beautiful little daughter with honey blond hair."

"You could get the opposite!" Relly teased and then chuckled, "Okay, now tell me everything."

"I was in a brief calvary skirmish and had my horse shot out from under me by artillery I think. I ended up in the hospital with no memory of the event. I underwent two surgeries and was left crippled and in intolerable pain. Between laudanum and alcohol I managed the pain and forced myself to walk. I was drunk or sedated for the longest time. No one believed I would ever walk again. But I was determined. Then I decided I would stop taking the laudanum and curb my drinking. It was difficult and I was an absolute beast to everyone. When it was obvious that I was unfit for the calvary I was offered a position as an intelligence officer and my rank was advanced. I was sent home to recover further."

"So you are a spy."

"A spy catcher to be precise and the count is my quarry."

"So you didn't come to London to find me?" Relly was unsure how she was feeling.

"I did. Everything just fell into place. I have always loved you and hoped we could be together. But it has been a bitter sweet hope until you told me you loved me. Charles and Grandmother brought you out at the perfect time I was here and you were coming."

"I've always said I loved you." Relly said feeling suddenly cheerful.

"So have I, but it means so much more now. Having you in my life and my bed is going to happen Relly. Nothing can stop us."

"I've been in your bed since I was three," Relly teased. Nick laughed at her and took both of her hands in his. Then he reached up and ran his fingers through her hair.

"Once we marry and this damnable war settles down I plan to sell my commission and spend all my time with you. I will have to find employment, there will be difficulties."