Chapter 17 The Literary Society

Countess Drusilla paced back and forth in front of the fireplace in the library. Charles lounged in one of the soft chairs and sipped his brandy. "Did you see what that little slut did," Drusilla hissed, "I'm so furious!"

"What did she do?" Charles said lazily. "She does seem to bring trouble."

"She and Nick let that Molly go, they just let her out and let her go."

"I thought you had sold her so now what?"

"I'll have to find someone else, I took the money," Drusilla said, "the count will want a young pretty one. I would not of sold her if she new her place. And spoke less. And didn't make so much noise." Charles had been looking forward to visiting Molly once DeVoissier had installed her in his brothel. A little payback for her refusals thus far. He was disappointed.

"I'll talk to the my man of affairs about a new hire. If you hadn't of beat her so badly she would have been on her sweet way before Aurelija could have found her."

"That girl is a source of embarrassment," Drusilla said, "when will you have your plans wrapped up."

"Soon enough. I have set a trap for Nick then I'll take the little wench to Gretna Green for a quick marriage. Might keep her for a while and see if she'll give me a son and heir. I'll keep her in Scotland and carry on here as usual."

"She's stubborn and resourcefully," Drusilla said, "she will not make things easy. She never does what she is told and has no respect for her superiors."

"I'll keep her away from knives, she sure surprised everyone when we tried the kidnapping." Nick poured himself a second drink, "where's she off to today."

"The literary society with that Cloe person."

Relly climbed into the coach. Cloe and her oldest daughter Bonnie had picked her up to go the the literary society. "We're just a little club," Cloe said, "not a grand salon with distinguished speakers and poet guests."

"This is totally new to me," Relly said, "reading is not common on my island and we don't get the papers."

"How did you get the news?" Bonnie asked.

"The village doctor had mail delivery twice a week and he posted my letters and let me read the papers. I helped in the clinic. I enjoyed helping. How's Molly?"

"She has settled in," Cloe said, "she's the same age as my Bonnie."

"Hows her arm?"

"Doctor came by and said you did a fine job with the splint," Cloe said. "She was frightened of Nevil at first but now he agrees with me about adopting her. Nevil is such a kind gentle man, I'd lucky to have him."

"I understands she is supporting a family."

"Her mother and sisters, yes," Cloe added, "Nevil wants to help them too."

"Let me know if you need anything and I'll do what I can."

"Molly and I will be coming out together," Bonnie said happily.

They arrived at the literary society and Relly was surprised that it was held at one of the large homes close to Grandmother's. She was also surprised that all the attendees were female. They were a mix of the new emerging middle class, the blue stockings, the wealthy and members of the ton. She was greeted for the most part with politeness. She was served tea and biscuits and took part in several active discussions of the latest novels and poets of the lake district.

"What do you think of the musings of this dragon girl, Aurelija?" one of the women asked.

"I just love her stories," Bonnie said happily.

"Her stories are fun and amusing, but it's hardly literature," another lady added, "but I find myself captivated by them." The discussion went on for several minutes. Cloe looked at Relly with an eyebrow raised and Relly smiled and nodded.

"Well ladies we have here in our mist the dragon girl herself, Lady Aurelija or as we know her Relly." Relly was blushing as all attention was turned on her. She was surprised by the favorable response she received for her work and told them about the Gothic novel she was currently working on. Some of the ladies has heard about her attempted abduction and she had them spellbound with her description of the event. She also talked about her barefoot activities at the park and had her audience laughing at her rendition of her activities and some of the reactions she received. Relly was surprised to discover that she was a natural story teller and she had an attentive audience for her stories.

They stopped at the cafe Nick had taken Relly to on their way home and Relly bought ices for herself, Cloe and Bonnie. "What do you think of our little literary society?" Cloe asked.

"They want me to read my novel to the group," Relly said. Then she leaned forward to whisper, "It's finished but Grandmother doesn't know about it."

"Having it received with accolades may soften the blow when she discovers you're a writer," Cloe said.