Chapter 16 Everything

Relly walked into the kitchen early looking for breakfast, "Morning Marta." Marta nodded but did not smile as she worked. All of the staff appeared on edge. "Is everything Okay, Relly asked. "I haven't seen Molly the maid for a couple of days. Is she sick?"

"The Countess has locked her in the punishment room and she has been there a few days. We're just worried about her."

"Why is she being punished?"

"She screamed the day you came home a bloodied. The Countess will not abide such outbursts in the house. She's lucky she's not been sacked. We are allowed to bring her food and water but she is so young."

"Bring me to her." Relly said and Marta removed the keys from the keyboard and led her to the attic as she and James escorted her. The attic was full of old furniture covered with dust cloths, boxes of books and odds and ends, everything covered with a heavy layer of dust and numerous cobwebs. Well toward the back away from any windows were three doors. The doors looked very sold and had openings about six inches wide at the top and bottom. Relly could hear a woman crying. "What key is it?" she asked. Marta singled out the key for her. Relly unlocked the door and saw Molly curled up on the floor. The punishment room was so small that an adult could not lay stretched out. The chamber pot was full. Molly squinted as she looked at them and shielded her eyes from the light coming through the window and now flooding into her cramped dark room. Molly looked like she had been beaten. She had numerous bruises on her face and angry welts on her arms and legs. One of her eyed was blackened and she had dried blood below her lip. She recoiled from them. "James please take her to my room, get Edith and arrange for the hip bath in my room. She meeds a bath and a good meal."

"We just can't hide her in your room," James said.

"Yes we can for now," Relly said, "I'll send a message to Nick's cousin Cloe Davis and we can send her there until I can make more permanent arrangements." Molly wept when James took her arm to help her to her feet. "Let me see your arm, Molly," Relly whispered. She examined the arm carefully. "Your arm is broken its a green stick fracture I think and should heal I'll make you a splint." Relly touched Molly and her hand glowed for a second.

"It stopped hurting," Molly said, "she beat me. Please I can't loose my job my family will starve."

"Lets get you safe first," Relly said, "I will do all I can to get you a job."

"She was furious with me," Molly whispered, "I've been in the punishment room before but she never beat me before." Molly was bathed and fed and brought her clothes. James sent a runner with a note to Cloe and he returned with an answer. Relly ran the clandestine operation and had Molly bundled off to Cloe's before Grandmother was up. Even Edna assisted in aiding Molly and secreting her off. Relly finally sat for a piece of toast and hot coco and wondered how she would break the news of her latest action to Grandmother. Luckily Nick and Charles were out so it was just the staff and Relly to run the operation. Marta approached her and gave her a hug.

"Molly is my niece. I've been so worried about her. Charles has been after her and I was worried about that too," Marta whispered. "What are you planning to tell the Countess?"

"That I found some keys and went exploring and turned her loose," Relly said, "simple and true. What did you mean by Charles was after her?"

"Trying to bed her," Marta said, "he always chasing after the younger staff. Got a few pregnant and they found themselves turned out with no prospects for finding work. I've never seen the Countess beat anyone though."

"I thought Charles was a gentleman," Relly said surprised.

"Some gentlemen are nothing but snakes in fine clothes," Marta said, "you watch yourself with him I've see how he looks at you."